[SOLVED] unstable system while gaming/BSODs on gaming PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 9, 2019
hi there everyone. I'm having (and for quite some time now, have had) issues with this rig I assembled sometime last year. the whole thing was working fine up until a power outage sometime nearing the end of march this year, and my entire system has been acting up exclusively while gaming ever since. I've done 4 fresh windows reinstalls thus far, no dice. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and most recently REFERENCE_BY_POINTER are some of the code prompts I've been seeing. I've already made sure my drivers were up to date.

what's curious is the system seems to have only turned progressively worse over time. as DOTA 2 used to run with the occasional CTD/BSOD, now you can't get past the character select screen without either of the two. same for L4D2. Black Mesa, F.E.A.R, TF2, you name it. Doom 2016 I get BSODs with, but also every now and then the entire PC would freeze and only the background music would be heard. I used to believe the less demanding/system intensive games were out of the question, until I got my latest BSOD - playing GZDoom of all things. now not one game is safe! not even Enter the Gungeon. I swear every game I play just terrifies the hell outta me now.

Please help me out. I'm ready to swap out any faulty components.

here's a minidump rar, listing out the 4 latest crashes. I've had many, MANY more overtime, these are just the ones bluescreenview lists out.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kc6cqz4pydjh9td/minidump.rar/file

my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
MOBO: GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3200MHz
PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt Lite 700W
STORAGE: 1TB 7200RPM WD Blue hard drive
CASE: Halion c3903 Stingray

I don't do overclocking.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
whoooah wait, so steam crashed my PC?

and yeah I'm using a bluetooth/wifi dongle. please don't tell me it has to do cuz I'll throw hands at my rig ahah. also, fun deal, when I head to the logitech webpage to get the software, there's a 'recommended for your OS' download that's listed as 2018-05-10, namely 9.00.42 (which I got). click on 'show all available updates', and there's another one dating from 2018-10-08, 9.02.65.
I don't even... what.

also my mobo and RAM RBG drivers are listed?? what does that mean? not this again... this is my 1st (well... 2nd, but that was OBS acting up when it didn't like my custom resolution scaling) BSOD after having done a clean windows reinstall :( don't say I'll have to tackle the entire process from the ground up again and I messed something up.

either way, thanks for the quick reply. you're the best!

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
whoooah wait, so steam crashed my PC?

and yeah I'm using a bluetooth/wifi dongle. please don't tell me it has to do cuz I'll throw hands at my rig ahah. also, fun deal, when I head to the logitech webpage to get the software, there's a 'recommended for your OS' download that's listed as 2018-05-10, namely 9.00.42 (which I got). click on 'show all available updates', and there's another one dating from 2018-10-08, 9.02.65.
I don't even... what.

also my mobo drivers are listed?? what does that mean?

either way, thanks for the quick reply. you're the best!
Steam didn't crash your PC, steam web helper is the process that crashed. Not what caused it. Just it being an internet based process can sometimes be indicative as to what the issue might be. And internet devices are common causes for stop errors.

Your MB drivers SHOULD be listed - that's a good thing. I'd say it is a problem if you didn't. If it is the latest for your OS then stick to it, just the timestamp on your logitech devices suggest the drivers are much older than the software that is installing them. So it'd be the drivers i'd be looking at.

It could well be the dongle, only real way of telling is by removing and retesting, but then it doesn't simulate the problem well. If you had regular BSOD, I would say run in safe mode without networking for a period of time and see if the crash occurs, we don't have that luxury of regular stop errors though!

I would be tempted to run HD Sentinel and just check the drives.
And you MAY want to run memtest86 to check RAM modules just as a precaution, as it should usually identify anything obviously wrong with your hardware, however I suspect yours is still software. It's just finding which one.

Sep 9, 2019
I edited my previous post for clarifications' sake. sorry I tend to overdo my posts cus I don't like being vague when I explain myself.

aaaah. good to know it's not my MB going all haywire again. regardless, curiously enough, I game almost exclusively online and have done nothing but play DOTA2, TF2 and L4D2 for days on end so it's weird that only now I'm getting this bug check just for clicking on ONE thing.
I had chalked it up to the AMD drivers, just got back from a quick reboot + downloaded the skin and ran a full campaign romp thru L4D2 no problem.

I'm not too certain how I'd go about running some tests without the dongle, I'll try coercing dad into bringing the router into my room but I don't think he'll be too happy to oblige, heh.

regarding tests, I have crystal disk and it still says the drive is fine, I'll look up HD sentinel asap just for good measure.
also quick question, which version of memtest should I run? there's two of them, 86+, and then there's 86 without the plus that's less outdated visually. I ran both versions on the sticks separately a month or so ago, 0 errors on 10-12~ passes each one.

since DOTA2 consistently crashes to desktop without an error prompt when I set my RAM to 3200MHz I want to chalk it up to the mobo. I just don't want to believe for an instant these sticks have gone faulty :( they behave fine at 2133 but performance is naturally noticeably choppier as a result.

thanks again, downloading LGS 9.02.65 as we speak.

Memtest86+ has not been updated since 2013. It is not recommended as being reliable with motherboards with the newer UEFI type of BIOS. Use MemTest86.

Ryzen 5 2400G has no official support for 3200MHz memory speed. It's not realistic to expect it to run at that speed on a stock non-overclocked system.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Sep 9, 2019
I think @Colif said something about the RAM freqs being unsupported by the 2400's standard voltage last time, yeah.
but rather I'm concerned as to why my system is so unstable now when I had been running the XMP profile perfectly well prior to the power blowout that took place a couple months ago. something's acting up on the hardware side for sure but I'm not certain what it could be and have no way to single out a culprit. :/
or maybe I had stumbled upon a system bug check/issue in the past and rolled back to 2133, and I simply never noticed? I can't quite recall, I don't meddle with system BIOS.

think updating to F42a would help? maybe? possibly? I'm on F31 currently, last updated I don't know when but I remember doing it thinking it would help.
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

and thanks for the heads-up, I'll get memtest86 running on this spare flash drive I keep handy. I'll run some 10-12 passes tonight and get back if anything comes up.

Sep 9, 2019
Hello there.
So- I had 2 random freezes/lockups happen to me one good day, "hmm, that's odd", I told myself. "Wonder what's causing this to happen."
So I decided to disassemble and clean up the day after, hoping to find a murky CPU or heatsink. So naturally I unscrewed the mobo and then the CPU fan.
Damn my poor decision making, damn my luck, but seems to be the amount of thermal paste I applied was too much. The CPU came RIGHT OFF THE SOCKET when I pulled on the heatsink, with it still attached to the bottom.

Much to my chagrin, everything was relatively pristine, so nothing on that end. Wrapping things up, I found the processor wasn't effortlessly sliding on the socket any longer but had to be pressed down each corner.

Booted up, played some TF2 and finished a round. Stopcode: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/09uvwfexe0qkyoo/100919-25015-01.rar/file

Once my computer was done rebooting, I slammed the top of my case out of frustration, and sure enough, another one popped up- I was furious enough to switch off my PSU right there and then, without properly checking what the stopcode for that even was, so no minidump file. But no mystery on what caused it. I'm done for, I'll have to get myself a new processor, and catch a new mainboard while I'm at it for good measure.

I know what to expect already, I'm an idiot. Just curious as to what the reports can show for it. Thank you and excuse me.