Unsure if it is PSU or house wiring

Leeoku

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
So I was playing dota2 with skype and a firefox with 2 tabs open. Boom it turns off no warning. I held power button to manually turn off cause it had a blue blinking light around the power button. It went away. I waited 2 minutes powered it on. Heard a "Bzzt" it spun abit and turned off again. I turned the power switch off and tried again same result.

My friend came over and helped me. He said there was abit of burnt plastic smell near the bottom of gpu closest to psu. We took it apart and put it back together starting with just cpu mobo, then added mobo monitor cd drive one at a time and they all worked. In the end everything put back together resulted it powering on successfully.

Should I be concerned about what just happened? We are unsure why this occurred. Could something have shorted it causing it to power off? Something in the psu? The pc was built brand new by my friend for roughly 1 -2 months. I did some googling and the answers were either PSU or get a uninterrupt power supply
specs

i5 4670
gtx 770
ssd 240gb
wd blue 1tb
asus dvd drive
corsair low profile 8gb
asus h87plus
seasonic gold 550w

Solution
Well they said to RMA it if it doesnt work in the self test. The self test was putting voltmeter and paperclip and see if it runs which it does. So is the PSU bad or is it just cutting out because of high consumption from pc

Leeoku

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
This occurred again today. One error I made before was I put it into a power bar? (Belkin Surgemaster). It happened again though. So I don't know if it's the psu or getting bad electricity

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I see that the bios screen says there was a power surge, Try another power bar or a different wall out. As for the voltages, They seem to be O.K.

Leeoku

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Well I went to the store and the guy did some math for me..
i5 4670 85W
Gtx 770 230W
Mobo 150-200 assume 200
Ram 12W
SSD 12W
HDD 35
CD 40W
Total is 624 W

Either way I swapped it out its working for now.... I dont understand cause I used this to calculate and got 418 W http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Lets assume it does work/solve this. What should I do with my other one... I checked seasonic rma it basically says test to see if it runs by paperclip voltmeter. If it does turn on and spin then works... which it does.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

RMA it??? The calculator you used is one used by many people. However, there ware some advanced settings. [strike]I got 415 watts too however. So we were both of by about 200, give or take about 6-11[/strike]. Actually, I got 520... So.... I think the mobo may cause this big of a difference. 550 is also too small for a 770. I think its 500 minimum listed on their site. It's a power hungry GPU, so that's probably why.

Leeoku

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Well they said to RMA it if it doesnt work in the self test. The self test was putting voltmeter and paperclip and see if it runs which it does. So is the PSU bad or is it just cutting out because of high consumption from pc

Solution

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

The PC is causing this. RMA it saying you ordered the wrong size/ it shorts out the pc. That worked for me.