Unsure on power supply for fx 9590

MeatFeastMan

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Here's what I'm gonna be using soon:

Processor: AMD FX 9590

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 R5

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750ti (Gonna upgrade in 1 or 2 years time when this gets really outdated, maybe to like a 960 or something)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 740

So yeah, the question is...what power supply would I need at the very maximum? I don't plan on overclocking the 9590 at all because well, from what I have heard its an overclocked 8350. Bare in mind that as I said above, I'm upgrading the 750ti so the power supply needs to be ready for future graphics card upgrades. That doesn't mean I'm gonna put a titan z or something in there, just something like a 960, 290 or 970. Something along those lines.

Would the rm850 from corsair be good enough for this? I'm a total Novice when it comes to building a pc so I don't have a clue what power supply is good enough.

I have already bought the 9590, so I don't want the usual 'Change to 8350, waste of money' comments.

Solution

The RM850x is an excellent PSU and should power the system properly.

Second point, the Noctua NH-D15 is not enough to cool it. In fact I've never in my life heard of a 9590 running stable on an air cooler. You need to get yourself a Corsair h100i AIO liquid cooler to cool that thing

Now as for your comment about not wanting to hear you should change it, you just said here you're a Novice builder. The 9590 is a bad choice even for a good builder, meaning you may do...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AMD recommends a 1000W minimum for the 9590, so I'd say an 750W would be the absolute minimum if it's good quality.

An R9 290, 960, 970 etc all have very different power requirements.

A 290 is ~250W, 960 is 120W.

It's tough to say definitively without knowing exactly which card you're opting for... to play it safe, a 1000W should guarantee it'll work.

Opting for a 750W, even if great quality, may be a little light if you put a 290 in there....

I see the RM850 available for ~$160? http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fWNp99/corsair-power-supply-rm850

At that pricepoint you can have an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W ($137)
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MKfp99/evga-power-supply-120g21000xr

Out of curiosity, are you stable with the NH-D15? Although it rivals quality AIO's, I've heard issues of getting stable on air...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The RM850x is an excellent PSU and should power the system properly.

Second point, the Noctua NH-D15 is not enough to cool it. In fact I've never in my life heard of a 9590 running stable on an air cooler. You need to get yourself a Corsair h100i AIO liquid cooler to cool that thing

Now as for your comment about not wanting to hear you should change it, you just said here you're a Novice builder. The 9590 is a bad choice even for a good builder, meaning you may do everything right and it still not work for anything.

So I'm gonna say whether you want me to or not, I don't care, if you can return the CPU do it.

Solution