Question Unusable standoff position for SSHD install?

njdfan30

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi all,

I am trying to install a 2nd SSHD in to my ASROCK X470 Master SLI/ac MOBO, and unfortunately, the spot I need to move the standoff to is solid...there’s not a hole to screw the standoff in to. The other 4 seem normal and are a different color also, the size of the SSHD is 2280 (8CM). This is the same manufacturer/model as I put in slot M2_2, which only takes 1 size (the 2280 size). The M2_1 slot accommodates 5 different sizes, but for some odd reason, the spot I need to move the standoff too so I can screw down and secure the SSHD is unusable. Anyone know why they would do this and what I can do about it? Either this is a manufacturer goof or I am just totally going about this the wrong way...seems like I should simply be able to unscrew the standoff, move it over, and screw it in. You can see the problem spot - its the only one that has a silverfish color to it, the spot on the far left is originally where the standoff was located before I unscrewed it.
xQsb9hC.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, terminology first.
SSHD = Solid State Hard Drive. A regular spinning drive with a small SSD cache space. Either 2.5" or 3.5" format.
What you're referring to is an SSD in the M.2 format. Size 2280 (22mm wide x 80mm long)

From the M.2 socket, counting 4 to the left..the silvery round thing.
What, specifically, is that?