[SOLVED] Unusual boot/Extremely long beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
I have a Gigabyte B460M DS3H V2 (rev. 1.0) with AMI bios which used to boot normally - making a very short, soft beep to confirm everything was ok
Recently, whenever I press the power button, the fans start but after 1 second they go off, then turn on again.
A second later, the bios produces a (very) long, hard and unpleasant beep. I've googled but couldn't find anything about it
The computer works normally after that. Temps are normal
If I restart, or turn it on a minute after shutdown, that doesn't happen. Only when I cold boot

Of the possible things that I could think of, there's a case fan which is probably past its prime, an old HDD which I store junk and is probably going bad soon, and 2 mobo temp sensors which are busted and record temperatures at about 90°C(~194°F). However, none of these used to trigger this beep until now

Any ideas? Thank you!

Solution
Those PSU readings still look good. Despite it being an older unit I'd probably say keep it around boxed up for use with another very light system or for troubleshooting in the event of a future PSU failure.

Try removing the graphics card entirely from the motherboard, use the integrated graphics and see if you still have the same issue with the current PSU in place. Still a good idea to get a new PSU to protect your expensive hardware given the age of that unit, but should be ok until it arrives as it looks fine based on sensor data.

Sensor data isn't always accurate though. Usually it's pretty close these days, but can be off a little. If you have or have access to a multimeter/volt meter, you can manually test it.

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Are you sure it's one long beep, and not a long two tone siren? If it's actually one long beep, then it's possible it is simply the code for POST has passed all tests. Since you don't have any problems, I assume, that is likely the case.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
It is definitely not the "normal" beep that it used to do. As it is a very strident sound, must be as you've said a two tone siren
Which says here it could be "Low CPU Fan speed, Voltage Level issue"
AuN0Yg5.jpg

Is there anything unusual here? I'm checking the bios options to see if anything else helps. Thank you

I'm assuming that screenshot is from HWmonitor, yes?

I'd recommend that you uninstall that, then download and install HWinfo. Far better and more accurate utility, that is religiously updated, and doesn't have the issues with misreading some sensors like HWmonitor and Open hardware monitor do. Then take screenshots of the system voltages for the 12v, 5v and 3v sensors. In fact, it will take about three screenshots and scrolling down between shots, but might as well just take caps of all the sensors. When you run HWinfo choose the "sensors only" option and uncheck the "summary" option.

Also, please list your FULL hardware specifications including EXACT power supply model and how long it has been in service.

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Intel Core i5-11400
Mobo GIGABYTE B460M DS3H V2
Video GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 OC
2x Kingston KHX2666C 8 Gb

PSU is a CorsairVX450W and it is old, might be from 2010 or something like that. I think you've nailed it. Anything unusual in the readings? Is this why it triggers from a cold boot but not after its been on for a while?

Screenshots
View: https://imgur.com/a/0vvTyya

Last edited:
So, if I'm being honest I have to say that both the PSU and the graphics card probably, almost certainly, need to be replaced.

For one thing, you're running a legacy graphics card in a motherboard that REALLY wants to see only UEFI hardware installed. Both that graphics card and power supply are like ten years old and in truth either of them might be responsible for, or adding to, any existing problems.

However, assuming that you took that screenshot with the system basically at idle with no significant load present, the voltages at idle look ok. Try running something that stresses the graphics card or CPU pretty heavily and take a second screen shot of the PSU voltages while it is under a load so we can see if there are any drops in voltage. Regardless of whether there are or are not, it would be a REALLY good idea to replace that PSU with something not only newer, but better, as that is an ancient platform. LOL.

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Ok so I've noticed this morning that there are actually two sources of the beep.
One is the pleasant, short one and the long, strident one comes from a different speaker. I noticed because they've rang almost simultaneous. I'll open the case and see what I can figure out

I'm ordering a new PSU today...is it safe to keep using the computer while it arrives? I wouldn't mind if it burned, I just don't want damage to the CPU/Mobo/NVme etc

As for the VGA...I've picked this processor specifically as it has integrated graphics so I can delay buying a new one. I barely play to justify the price. I've got other priorities for now

Below the readings... left a few 3D games open for a while and ran OCCT

View: https://imgur.com/a/QgDXXrY

Those PSU readings still look good. Despite it being an older unit I'd probably say keep it around boxed up for use with another very light system or for troubleshooting in the event of a future PSU failure.

Try removing the graphics card entirely from the motherboard, use the integrated graphics and see if you still have the same issue with the current PSU in place. Still a good idea to get a new PSU to protect your expensive hardware given the age of that unit, but should be ok until it arrives as it looks fine based on sensor data.

Sensor data isn't always accurate though. Usually it's pretty close these days, but can be off a little. If you have or have access to a multimeter/volt meter, you can manually test it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.