Unusual TV-OUT problem

Influx

Distinguished
May 22, 2003
Really confused by this one. I have a Leadtek GF6600GT and run the TV-out through the included adapter into a 4 pin s-video cable which in turn plugs into a scart adapter in the back of my TV. Pretty standard setup, and has worked fine from day 1.

Went to use my tv-out a few days ago however and all the picture output is in black and white. The bizarre thing is, I haven't changed any of my settings, drivers or anything. I checked all the plug connections, reinstalled the video drivers, tried different versions of drivers and made sure that the correct PAL/NTSC settings were selected. Also tried manually setting tv-out to s-vid rather than automatic but nothing made any difference.

I'm at a loss as I have tried all the suggestions I can find and nothing works. If I could narrow it down as to what was causing the fault it would be a start but I don't want to start buying new cables, graphics cards etc until I know what is causing the problem.

Anyone got any ideas? And thanks in advance for any help :)

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
OK you have 5 pieces of hardware to troubleshoot: The TV, the SCART adapter, the S-video Cable, the Nvidia adapter and the graphics card. I would try a new source and a new destination; this will allow you to eliminate the most expensive repairs. You could try a different TV set by using a friends TV (or another TV in your house) or porting your rig to a buddy's house. You could also plug in a DVD player/VCR to the S-video cable; this will test everything downstream of the Nvidia adapter.

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
There may be a pin in one of the cables or connectors that has been bent or broken off.

Visually examine the various male and female connections.

htpcgb

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Sounds like a busted cable. S-Video has 4 pins, 2 for luminence (black and white) and two for chrominence (color). If any of the pins/wires that carry the color signal are busted, that would explain your problem. As Prolfe said, plug the adapter cable into a DVD player and see if you have the same problem.

Influx

Distinguished
May 22, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Have tried swapping the scart adapter and have visually checked all the plugs/sockets but no change as yet. Will try and borrow a replacement S-Vid cable if the DVD player test doesn't work.

Good suggestions though, reckon I'll figure it out eventually!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Try setting your video card out to TV at 30Hz.

I have same issue connecting new video card to my TV since my old video card works fine. Video Card I think was preset @ 60Hz, Changing my frequency to 30Hz fixes the problem.