Aug 23, 2018
Hello,

I put a new PC with the following specs:

Asus Z370-E
Asus Strix 1080ti
i5-8600k
HyperX DDR 4 16GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit
1x 250GB SSD (Windows and a game I play)
2x 1000GB HDD

I know that Windows shuts down HDDs and spin them them up when necessary. However, when it does so the following happens:
1. If I'm watching a youtube video, the video will stop and a distorted sound comes from the speakers. It last 2-3 seconds.
2. If I'm playing, frame rate drops to 2-5 (even 0 and mouse won't move at all), and also a distorted sound comes from the speaker. It last 2-3 seconds. Sometimes a continuous noise will come from the speaker and it will last 4-5 seconds.

This used to happen on my old PC (Windows 8.1), but it only used to happen when I open, say Drive D, and it would then takes 2-3 second for files to show up, but the PC will stay responsive. Now it doesn't stay responsive.

I tried disconnecting the HDDs one by one, but the problem remains.
I tried setting the time out for tuning off the hard disk to 1000 mins, but the problem remains.

It happens at random intervals.

Cheers.

popatim

Titan
Depending one which HDD's you have, you may not be able to turn off the spin down.
In Power options, select Change for your preferred power plan and then go to Advanced setting. Set the Turn off Hard disks after... to Never and see if it helps.

Again, depending on the specific HDD, you may not actually have an effect.

Aug 23, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

But the question is: would HDD spinning up cause such a problem?

Aug 23, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, everything is up to date.

Aug 23, 2018

Such a wonderful idea mate. Please check this: https://imgur.com/eBFWsfo
What do you think?

Aug 23, 2018

Thanks for your quick reply.
I just checked and I have the latest driver. What should I do?

Aug 23, 2018

Hi,
Running the command gave this: "No settings were changed."

I will try now uninstall current driver and try Microsoft ones.

P.S: I disconnected my 2 HDDs and indeed the problem never happened again. However, the latency monitor still gives the same warning. Is it because the bad drivers still there?

Update: I uninstalled the current AHCI driver, but after restart it was reinstalled automatically. Thus, I updated it by selecting the specific device from a list: "Standard SATA AHCI Controller". The problem seems to be solved. When the HDD woke up I didn't experience the usual frames drop. I will be testing it again.

P.S: Latency monitor still giving me a message: https://imgur.com/a/3yMJJXO
But as you can see, it's not as troubling as the last one (that one was in red). Should I be worried about this?

Aug 23, 2018

Thanks a lot mate. I really appreciate your help.
Have a nice week :)