Oniman217

Honorable
Nov 29, 2014
Hello, I have been struggling with this issue for a couple of weeks, and its just gotten worse to the point where I basically can't play any game. My CPU usage randomly drops from 90% usage to 15-30% in the middle of a game. This makes it go from 90 fps, to 1-15 fps. It does not seem to be throttling, because the speed stays locked at 4.9 Ghz, and the temps max out at around 78 degrees, but averages around 65 under load. I've tried changing my registry settings for intel ppm from 3 to 4 with no luck, all drivers are up to date. Someone please help me.

Specs:
i7 8700k @ 5ghz @1.3v
msi z390 A-Pro
16gb corsair vengeance lpx 3600mhz
various ssds/ hdds
750 w NZXT c750
evga rtx 3080 xc3 ultra

Solution
If the CPU throttles without overheating, it could be a power management setting in the BIOS or Windows...such as Intel's power management features like C-State and Package C-State.

I have tried these settings on a couple MSI Z370.
OC Explore Mode: Expert
CPU Ratio Apply Mode: All Core
CPU Ratio: 50
CPU Ratio Mode: Fixed Mode
Ring Ratio: 47
EIST: Enabled (Speedstep)
Enhanced Turbo: Disabled (MCE:Multi Core Enhancement)
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): Enabled
DigitALL Power > CPU Loadline Calibration: Mode 4
Voltage: Adaptive
CPU: Core Voltage: 1.35v
CPU SA Voltage: 1.23v
CPU IO Voltage: 1.18v
CPU PLL OC Voltage: 1.2v

Have these apps available.
CPU-Z to check the CPU frequency and to check if the CPU Ratio settings in BIOS are...

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
I'm not the best when it comes to CPU troubleshooting, but it does seem like you have overclocked your 8700k, my only real suggestion would be to try clearing CMOS , try reverting the overclock first, if that does not work I would just go ahead and try a clear. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Oniman217

Honorable
Nov 29, 2014
not at all sure what the cause of the issue was, but a windows 10 reset seemed to do the trick. I've tried just removing the oc and putting it at stock or undervolting and that still hasn't helped. The issue may have been because i installed the computer with an i5 9600k, and when i went to the i7 it probably messed up some drivers.

If the CPU throttles without overheating, it could be a power management setting in the BIOS or Windows...such as Intel's power management features like C-State and Package C-State.

CPU-Z to check the CPU frequency and to check if the CPU Ratio settings in BIOS are working.
Core Temp or HWiNFO to check CPU temperature and CPU package power.
Cinebench R15 for a quick stability test and performance comparison.
AIDA64 or Prime95 for a stress testing.

Solution

Oniman217

Honorable
Nov 29, 2014
thank you for that, ive also checked the c-state and all my bios settings to see what was limiting the power, but couldnt find anything. It seemed like the windows that was installed earlier was having some power management issues. a fresh install did the trick, and im running at 5ghz at 1.3v with temps not hitting higher than 70 degrees and no power draw limitations

Jan 5, 2021

CPU-Z to check the CPU frequency and to check if the CPU Ratio settings in BIOS are working.
Core Temp or HWiNFO to check CPU temperature and CPU package power.
Cinebench R15 for a quick stability test and performance comparison.
AIDA64 or Prime95 for a stress testing.
I've been having a slightly different issue but wonder if this would apply to me too... my CPU on some games is perfectly fine with about 85% usage, but then on some games it goes to 20% usage, but throttles down to like .7 GHz speed. If I look at Core Temp it shows my CPU at really low temperatures, but under 100% load. Any suggestions please?

I've been having a slightly different issue but wonder if this would apply to me too... my CPU on some games is perfectly fine with about 85% usage, but then on some games it goes to 20% usage, but throttles down to like .7 GHz speed. If I look at Core Temp it shows my CPU at really low temperatures, but under 100% load. Any suggestions please?
I suggest you open your own thread and post your issue with your system specs.
Even though your issue might look similar, the OP issue was related to overclocking on the system posted above.
If you are not OCing your Intel CPU on a MSI Z370 or Z390, the advice here might not apply to your issue.