Unusually low fps in games

The_Unknown644

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I realize you've probably seen this question many times before, but here goes :p

A few months back my video card died (an old geforce 8400GS). My integrated video card is way too slow, so I decided to buy a new gpu as well as upgrade my psu

These are my specs now:
Intel core 2 quad q8300 2.50ghz
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670
Corsair CX500
4gb RAM
283GB HDD
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

I chose this card because I don't play a whole lot of games nowadays (mainly TF2 and Dota 2 which I'll use as examples) and I thought that the HD 6670 would give me at least some decent FPS in those games.
But, my fps drops to about ~10 in heavy fights, maybe about ~45 when not much is happening.
You may think this is simply because my gpu isn't capable of anything more. I thought that too, however, and this is what's got me concerned: in both games whenever I lower the graphics settings to their absolute minimum, I barely see any improvement in my fps at all.

For example, there's a well known fix for tf2 called Chris' fps config, which basically optimizes the game for slower computers. I always used this config back when I had my 8400GS, and I got a stable 60 fps at all times. Now when I try the exact same thing with my newer gpu, I only get around 25 - 50 fps when nothing's happening.
Same thing in Dota. It lags in fights, and when I lower all the settings to make it look like an 8-bit game I get about the same amount of fps as before.

So yeah, I'm worried that maybe my CPU or HDD might be dying or something, as my current GPU, while nothing special, has to be capable of much more than this.
So far I'm going to try to remove all the dust from my PC and do a clean reinstall of windows, I haven't done either of those in a while.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this/solutions would be very much appreciated :??:

brightside

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Is there one you would recommend? I have the same issue (never over 30fps)

The_Unknown644

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Woops, think I replied using the wrong button :p I'll try again.

I ran a few tests using Coretemp for my cpu and GPU-Z for my gpu. Both times I hosted a single player server with 24 bot players on TF2.

My gpu averaged at a surprisingly low 20%, 30% at its highest. My fps was as low as always. The temperature was ~41 degrees C.

Core 0 of my cpu averaged at ~70-80% while the other 3 averaged at 30-40%. The temperature for all of them was about 50-60 degrees C.

I never used a driver cleaner to remove old drivers, I think I just uninstalled them. If you can give me a good one like Brightside said I'll make sure to give it a try.