Question Unzipping a zip tie from motherboard cables ?

Jun 15, 2024
How does one unzip it when the rest of the cable has been cut off so there is no leverage whatsoever? I guess all pc motherboard cables are tied up like this but using a knife is pretty risky.
I tried prying it loose but without any leftover cable you can't get anything moving (unless I'm doing it wrong).
Thanks.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
How does one unzip it when the rest of the cable has been cut off so there is no leverage whatsoever? I guess all pc motherboard cables are tied up like this but using a knife is pretty risky.
I tried prying it loose but without any leftover cable you can't get anything moving (unless I'm doing it wrong).
Thanks.
Some have a tang you press to release the tie. They are hard to find. In general cut the old tie off. Order replacement ties or reusable Velcro from Amazon or your favorite e-seller. Tie rap tool but side cutters work.

Reactions: artk2219
Jun 18, 2024
To remove the cable tie from the motherboard cable, use a small, pointed tool like a flathead screwdriver or needle. Carefully insert it between the cable tie locking mechanism and the strap, and lift the tab to release it. Do not cut the tie to avoid damaging the cable or connector.

Reactions: artk2219
Then don't cut the tie itself, only its head (the square part) so it falls apart. If it's in a really tight area like an engine bay where you don't have access to that, push-cut through the tie with a seam-ripper (or at least use the seam-ripper to create enough slack to get one jaw of the snips into).

I usually use a sharp pick or pin to unlatch them to reuse for non-critical purposes (the latch can be much less reliable after it's been deformed/mangled from poking at it) but of course that requires even more access

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Agree.

However, the concern is being able to cut or otherwise remove the zip tie without cutting or damaging one or more bound wires.

Very thin and tightly pulled zip ties in awkward locations can be quite problematic.
Yes, some tie raps are designed with the tang easily accessible. Haven't looked for them in ages. I believe they are a bit more expensive. Then there's the UV resistant style.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree.

As I see the picture, I would use the recommended side cutters and simply cut through the middle of the zip-tie lock head as suggested by @BFG-9000.

No need to get near the wires and the cut will likely just make the "lock" come apart.

= = = =

Side note: there is a heavy dust build up in the system. Take a few minutes to clean out dust and debris while the case is open.