Question External temperature, voltage, and current monitor for ASROCK IAMB-8000 motherboard

Jun 21, 2024
Hi,

I need to gather CPU (Ryzen 8640) temperature, voltage, and current data for some tests at work. The data can't be harvested through the CPU (i.e. with HWInfo or lm_sensors). Right now I'm thinking about hooking up in I2C controller to the SMBUS_TEST1 output on the motherboard and seeing if I can read anything from the Super I/O chip (a Nuvoton ntc6162d).

Before I spend a lot of time seeing if that works, I hoped someone with more experience could point me in a better direction, if there is one.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I need to gather CPU (Ryzen 8640) temperature, voltage, and current data for some tests at work. The data can't be harvested through the CPU (i.e. with HWInfo or lm_sensors). Right now I'm thinking about hooking up in I2C controller to the SMBUS_TEST1 output on the motherboard and seeing if I can read anything from the Super I/O chip (a Nuvoton ntc6162d).

Before I spend a lot of time seeing if that works, I hoped someone with more experience could point me in a better direction, if there is one.

Thanks.
Isn't what you are trying to do exactly what the software monitors already do? Read the Super I/O chip for example.
Unless you put your own, calibrated thermal sensors on the chip and put ammeters on all the power lines to the socket, how are you planning to get independent data ?

Jun 21, 2024
That's the million dollar question. The CPU may die during the test and we still need data when that happens.

Right now the plan is to use an Aardvark I2c controller hooked to another laptop to try and master the SMBUS through the SMBUS_TEST1 header pins and see if I can read the Super I/O chip that way. But there's very little documentation on the Super I/O chip or the motherboard, so I'm not sure how well it's going to go.

kanewolf

Titan
That's the million dollar question. The CPU may die during the test and we still need data when that happens.

Right now the plan is to use an Aardvark I2c controller hooked to another laptop to try and master the SMBUS through the SMBUS_TEST1 header pins and see if I can read the Super I/O chip that way. But there's very little documentation on the Super I/O chip or the motherboard, so I'm not sure how well it's going to go.
You say this is "at work". It seems like the first thing would be to contact AMD to see what work has been done by other independent testing organizations. It may be possible to buy the data you desire.

kanewolf

Titan
We're testing for radiation effects on a newish AMD processor, so I suspect there won't be any data for sale, unfortunately.
I think you should also contact motherboard manufacturers. You are going to need a special purpose motherboard, IMO.

AMD might be interested in helping, since it provides them additional sales opportunities if there is documented RAD HARD data.

Reactions: olishmollie