Upcoming Build of Firefox 4 Getting Tab Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Can be quite useful when you open a page for viewing later etc. and power users like myself with 20+ tabs open will definitely benefit.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
cant it do it for me automagicaly. Think about it. I have 5 tabs open with cameras in it. Cant they group them for me. I dont want to take time to sort may tabs. Most of the time I am only switching from one to two active tabs at a time. (out of the 50 that are open)

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I still think that most browsers shouldn't have the almost exact same UI...

I know that Fx and Opera did the theme at the same time, but I like variety.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
personally i don't like the word "Candy". Sounds like something to entice you, without giving anything of substantial value. If all it does is to organize all the open tabs, why not just call it a Tab Organizer?

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well, personally, I think this is both superfluous but also awesome. It adds a layer of elegance to something I already do. Instead of managing it in the "Tab candy window", I have it managed in individual instances of firefox along my browser. With the help of Win7, I can just drag and drop based on priority, and with FF's ability to drag out a tab and have it pop open in a window, I just manage my tabgroups as such. However, this would allow for a really elegant way to manage all of that, and, IMO sort of one-up's Google's thought of "The browser as a desktop." Thinks about it...Aren't most of us power-users ALREADY doing tab-candy like me, in the OS? Now, FF has just taken that OS-level power and embedded it into their browser. Just leave FF open, and you can do everything that your start bar and windows space WAS doing originally. Very cool, but, as I said, also somewhat superfluous. It's essentially a very elegant solution for people who don't understand the power of their OS.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Kinda of stupid in a way. Having 20+ tabs? How many people actually do this? Going that far, you may end up with hundreds... which is kind of pointless, why bother having bookmarks. When you're done with tabs, close them out.

I'll admit that my current OPERA browser has 10 tabs. when I'm done in about 5 mins, it'll be down to 5 and I shut down. Opera has a SPEED DIAL - visual bookmark for your top 9~24 sites of your choice as well as keeping tabs in memory without bugging you about it.

Tab Candy... looks useless for more people, but a MUST HAVE for those with 25+ tabs. But with typical users... 2~4 tabs is overwhelming... :( and with IE8, its nothing but a horrible mess.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]There are magical tabs on your START BAR that groupBrowser tabs are annoying, and I have them completely disabled[/citation]
To each his own, but multiple instances of firefox use much more RAM than a single with multiple tabs, and depending on the OS all the browsers are not necessarily grouped together on the TASK BAR, or it may require more clicks to change between tabs. Granted you get the benefit of Alt-Tab, but with Windows 7 separate tabs can be alt-tabbed to IIRC, if the program supports the new API

sneaky jedi

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I never have more than about 10 tabs open at a time, averaging about 8 maybe going up to 15. what do people need to have constantly open that they have 25+ tabs?

Stickywulf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Absolutely FANTASTIC. In a normal session I have about 10 tabs open but regularly go to 20-30 tabs when googling a new topic. For me, this is an ideal solution and I love it.

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Oooh that looks quite nice, don't think i would ever have that many tabs open and i dont use firefox unless on my phone but i'm sure some people will love the way that manages them :)

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]carickw[/nom]To each his own, but multiple instances of firefox use much more RAM than a single with multiple tabs, and depending on the OS all the browsers are not necessarily grouped together on the TASK BAR, or it may require more clicks to change between tabs. Granted you get the benefit of Alt-Tab, but with Windows 7 separate tabs can be alt-tabbed to IIRC, if the program supports the new API[/citation]
I'm really worried about my two or three browser windows using up my 4 gigs of ram... ;)

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Firefox is already a memory hog. Hopefully they will figure out a way to keep memory usage low when I have a bazillion tabs open at once.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Tab Candy looks like a work around for people who are too lazy to open up another Firefox window, or does Firefox not allow multiple windows/instances open at a time? I mean, if I was going to go through the effort of using Tab Candy, why not just open up a second instance of the browser?

G

I just found out Firefox girl isn't actually firefox girl. Image is paste on the shirt. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.