Upcoming Build of Firefox 4 Getting Tab Candy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]personally i don't like the word "Candy". Sounds like something to entice you, without giving anything of substantial value. If all it does is to organize all the open tabs, why not just call it a Tab Organizer?[/citation]
entice? what are you a priest?

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I'd imagine that people with 20+ tabs would change the minimum tab width to 0. I can easily fit more than 30 tabs (currently 36) on my screen without scrolling. Admittedly a 24" monitor is better for that than a netbook screen.

I can see that tab candy is more than a feature to save space with tabs, it's an information organizational tool. I'm really impressed at the possibilities it brings. Kudos to the FF team for thinking outside the box. Now on to look up that Firefox sync they mentioned in the video...

hmmm, i still think they should just implement the tabs in a vertical sense at the side of the browser (like tree style tabs) as i can get 38 tabs before i get a scrollbar

though when the grid came up, i had a preview of one of the firefox's from about 9 months ago that had that and then they took it out of the previews that came after

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@hellwig, as zerapio commented, it's an information organizational tool. People use there browsers in different ways. Some might wonder why you'd need so many tabs open, but trust me, once you have the option to do so efficiently your browsing experience can be greatly improved if you take advantage of it. I use tree style tabs to tackle tab organization (as mindless728 noted), and will continue to do so because it's faster. It doesn't look as nice, and the effect of spatial memory is slightly weakened, and most importantly to people using low res screens, it always uses significant screen space, but it's faster and suits my current needs perfectly. It seems I alway comment on tree-style tab related articles. I guess I just like it that much. It is the number one reason I won't be using Chrome anytime soon.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]johnny_5[/nom]Some might wonder why you'd need so many tabs open, but trust me, once you have the option to do so efficiently your browsing experience can be greatly improved if you take advantage of it.[/citation]
Nope, tried it, don't like it at all actually

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
all i can say I have been waiting for this day since tabs came out :p i would use other ways and use sessions to load the diff tabs LOL but that doesnt work not even close as good as this does! cant wait! I have so many todo tabs its not even funny... you know how good this is for projects or even when selling/buying or if your job hunting? its huge, i dont know what google has planned but if firefox keeps this up ill be sticking with them for very long time

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i can see my self going from 50 to over 200-500 (ok maybe not 500 but never know) tabs lol if the memory is efficient enough this could replace almost bookmarks :p

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
This is awesome! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. I only have 20 tabs open right now and that's because I am trying to de-clutter. I need this! When I'm working I can easily have 30 open at a time, if not more.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Tab scrolling is awful. I have my minimum tab width set to 10 pixels, just enough to have something to click. I also have the waste of space per-tab close buttons disabled, as you could already do that by middle clicking the tab, or hitting CTRL+F4.

If I need to organize tabs, I just open a new browser window, as you can already drag tabs from one window to another. Whether this new feature proves to be more convenient than that remains to be seen, but if it requires more effort to switch between groups than ALT+TABbing between windows, I doubt it will get used much.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]personally i don't like the word "Candy". Sounds like something to entice you, without giving anything of substantial value. If all it does is to organize all the open tabs, why not just call it a Tab Organizer?[/citation]
Cause Tab Candy sounds more fun then Tab Organizer :p they are out to get people to use their products and fun names do help.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
When people see one of my browsers open they always flip about the number of tabs. There's no need for favorites if everything's already open in different tabs. For example, I have shirt.woot woot and deals.woot always open furthest left, then there's tom's hardware's main page, the hierarchy chart for graphics cards as a quick reference, then the forums. Then ebay and whatever stuff I was looking up after that. Whenever I want to go back to a site it's just a refresh away.

It just seems alot faster to me, and I (and everyone) has so much RAM to burn now that it really doesn't affect anything else I'm doing.

This would allow me to keep all the stuff I always have open separate from things that I am opening 10-20 looking at whatever subject it happens to be.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]hardwarekid9756[/nom]Well, personally, I think this is both superfluous but also awesome. It adds a layer of elegance to something I already do. Instead of managing it in the "Tab candy window", I have it managed in individual instances of firefox along my browser. With the help of Win7, I can just drag and drop based on priority, and with FF's ability to drag out a tab and have it pop open in a window, I just manage my tabgroups as such. However, this would allow for a really elegant way to manage all of that, and, IMO sort of one-up's Google's thought of "The browser as a desktop." Thinks about it...Aren't most of us power-users ALREADY doing tab-candy like me, in the OS? Now, FF has just taken that OS-level power and embedded it into their browser. Just leave FF open, and you can do everything that your start bar and windows space WAS doing originally. Very cool, but, as I said, also somewhat superfluous. It's essentially a very elegant solution for people who don't understand the power of their OS.[/citation]

It's not superfluous and for people who don't understand the power of theur OS as you say. In fact, you do recon that you have to leave your PC on for it to work as you use it. Try to have Firefox remember all the multi-tab instances you have opened the next time you turn on your PC (and by turn on I mean turn on, not resume from low power standby)

G

I use Opera with tabs on left, with plenty of space for more than 20 tabs (30 in my case with 1920x1200). Firefox should take note and give more native GUI flexibility.

davidmosen

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I use Opera with tabs on left, with plenty of space for more than 20 tabs (30 in my case with 1920x1200). Firefox should take note and give more native GUI flexibility.[/citation]
I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.