Upcoming D&D Game For PC Lets Players Take The DM Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
For me, if this game is anywhere close to being good as Baldur's Gate, it is going to be a huge hit. Finally, back the old school!!

For me, if this game is anywhere close to being good as Baldur's Gate, it is going to be a huge hit. Finally, back the old school!!

Yeah Baldur's Gate was huge for me. Nothing since has been able to create what I felt back then. Neverwinter Nights came pretty close.

It's good to see there's a human DM. Gamers' sophistication levels are far surpassing what development teams are able to put out with tight budgets and short deadlines. I suspect this is why most games these days are met with a 'meh'.

That's why I liked NWN so much. It's hard to compare BG to NWN story-wise, but the third-party tools and custom adventure modules for multiplayer in NWN were fantastic. I remember Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption tried doing some multiplayer letting a player be the active DM. It was a good idea, but really buggy. I wonder how well the DM role works here. Tabletop is much slower paced so the DM can react easier. With the game handling all the dice rolls and combat order will this move faster than a DM can handle?

Spoogemonkey

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
"Do I need a Steam account to play Sword Coast Legends?

Yes, a Steam account is required to download the game at launch."

NO THANKS

Slyons89

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How would you prefer to receive the game, Spoogemonkey? Great name by the way, I am sure your opinion will be mature and well-informed. /s

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Same for me, the best game for me from my teen years were Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. If this is anything like those, it'll be massive fun.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I'm with mortsmi on this. Only 6 classes? DND 1.0 offered 6 with another 5 subclasses. Though you could argue you only need 6 this seems gikped from what it is based off of.

This is not a proper follow-up to Baldur's Gate. Obsidian are already making the spiritual sequel to the Baldur's Gate games, and it's called Pillars of Eternity. I've played the beta, and it feels very... VERY... Baldur's Gate.

A lot of the key people from Interplay, Bioware, and Black Isle back in the day are at Obsidian and InXile today. InXile is incidentally working on a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment, another classic Infinity Engine game.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
One of the things I have liked about the DnD games are the shear amount of choices for character creation. NWN2 was by far the most complex. I'm not saying it needs to meet or exceed NWN2, but offering so little seems half-assed for a DnD PC game. It's not as if they have to create races and classes out of thin air.
*facepalm*
I can smell the DLC already.

Guys it's fifth edition D&D not 3.5E like NWN / NWN2 or 2nd like BG / IWD were. Fifth edition basic comes with four class's (Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) and PHB core has eight (Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock). Since they mention six I'm going to assume the core four and two of the others. Personally I think it's kind of a shame but the power scaling of 5th edition isn't nearly as dramatic as 3rd edition so lets see how this works out. And yes I'm smelling future class's via DLC or expansions. It sucks but that's probably how they got the execs to buy off of funding this vs another CoD / DoA / Skyrim clone.

Personally I felt NWN / NWN2 had the absolute best engine for expandability, you could do nearly anything you wanted with it, including running a dedicated server hosting a persistent world with GM's and everything. It was a miniature MMO kit. There was a group who even made a complete Baldur's Gate module for NWN2, they working on Baldur's Gate II right now.

If this includes a toolset that is anywhere near as capable as the original NWN Aurora, I'm all over it.

A Dedi server app with database support is probably asking a bit much. But just seeing these guys developing another D&D + DM title is exciting news.

Status
Not open for further replies.