Question Update BIOS before installing Windows?

Jan 20, 2023
Hi there,

I am a first time builder and currently in the process of buying parts for a new gaming PC. I know for a fact I am going to have to update the BIOS to support my selected CPU of the AMD Ryzen 7 5700x 3.4Ghz, 8-cores. Which is going to be installed on a GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.0). So here is my question. Should I update my BIOS before proceeding to install windows on my system? I'm assuming that I should update my BIOS first as the motherboard may not recognize the newer CPU.

Another side question is that I am wondering about what settings within the BIOS I should be focusing on? Anything that should be enabled or disabled preferably?

Thanks!

... Should I update my BIOS before proceeding to install windows on my system? I'm assuming that I should update my BIOS first as the motherboard may not recognize the newer CPU.

Another side question is that I am wondering about what settings within the BIOS I should be focusing on? Anything that should be enabled or disabled preferably?
YES...update BIOS to the very latest for the motherboard and reset CMOS before installing Windows 11. The reason is that BIOS version has the best Windows 11 compatibility with settings defaulted to ensure it will install correctly and set up certain security features - like UEFI mode operation with system drive using GPT partioning scheme and Secure Boot enabled.

With that version BIOS you can proceed to install Windows 11 without making any changes to settings. Once Windows 11 is fully set up with all updates posted, then install device drivers. Only after that start customizing BIOS settings to your liking.

Reactions: Randy F
Jan 20, 2023
YES...update BIOS to the very latest for the motherboard and reset CMOS before installing Windows 11. The reason is that BIOS version has the best Windows 11 compatibility with settings defaulted to ensure it will install correctly and set up certain security features - like UEFI mode operation with system drive using GPT partioning scheme and Secure Boot enabled.

With that version BIOS you can proceed to install Windows 11 without making any changes to settings. Once Windows 11 is fully set up with all updates posted, then install device drivers. Only after that start customizing BIOS settings to your liking.
Awesome! So I am able to fully build the PC with all my components, CPU, memory, and GPU? Or should I leave the cpu out until I update the BIOS?

Awesome! So I am able to fully build the PC with all my components, CPU, memory, and GPU? Or should I leave the cpu out until I update the BIOS?
The answer sort of depends on whether your motherboard comes with a BIOS that supports your CPU.

If it does come with a version that will boot the system into BIOS at least, then update it to the latest BIOS with the in-BIOS update utility.

If it does not come with a BIOS that will boot the system into BIOS with your CPU then you can go ahead and do the update using the Q-Flash feature. It should work with the CPU installed but you can also use Q-flash completely without it. Read the motherboard manual for how it's done but here's a video that will be helpful. Be sure to follow instructions to the letter. He's using a different motherboard but I believe it should work the same on yours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQLYROKJ_Q