Info Update for an old thread related to stuttering issues in multiple applications, related to RAM

Sep 3, 2021
The old thread is below (resurrected, sry mods.)

I inadvertently resurrected and old thread as there was not any information I could find to remedy this issue, for months. My solution below.

So. After replacing all components on a windows 10 system, excluding RAM and CPU, the stutter remained for my issue.
The page file is the culprit. For some reason on my second system, almost identical parts besides M.2 drive at this point, the stutter remained. This is with the page file on. With paging off, it did not stutter, but the RAM would quickly fill up and the computer was just "slow." I just added 16GB of additional RAM and the stutter has been non existent for a few days. This is with paging turned on.
I would recommend those who are getting random system stutter in games, browser, desktop, etc(multiple applications at the same time even the desktop) to add additional memory to your system. The funny part is, the only difference between the two systems I have are the case, the M.2, and now the RAM. The system with 32 GB of RAM used to always stutter randomly. The other one, still with 16GB of RAM, never had this issue.
All of the "check processes" and "disable antivrus" threads became me chasing gremlins for months. It caused me to start replacing all the parts like crazy to make the systems almost identical.

If you are wondering what lead me to this originally, I will explain.
I recently installed ARCH Linux onto an additional drive. I forgot to create a swap partition and all of the windows problems, the other computer was having, were present on my ARCH install. So it got me thinking to check page file settings in Windows, on the other machine. Sure enough, every time the computer attempted to write RAM contents to disk, it started stuttering like crazy and the CPU usage spiked to 100 percent. This was done by adding a counter to the "paging file" item in Performance Monitor. At first I thought the RAM was bad. So I bought a 16GB set from corsair. Then I decided to troubleshoot and mess around before putting the corsair RAM in the stuttering system. Both systems were running the same Trident Z 3200 Mhz RAM. I took the 16GB from the system without stuttering and added it to the system which stuttered. Now it does not stutter at all. I placed the 16GB of corsair in the other system(which no longer had RAM) and they both still work just fine.

TLDR: Added 16GB of RAM to the stuttering system and it no longer stuttered. Don't go chasing fixes if your stutter effects more than just one application.
Specs for stuttering system:
Ryzen 2700x
GTX1070
Sandisk 500GB m.2(OS)
1TB Sandisk SSD (games)
Asus prime x470-pro
16GB of G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz.(now 32GB after fix)
Corsair RMX white 750W power supply.
Gremlins=none

If you had a 2700x reach 100% usage just to write to the page file then you have issues with your chipset/sata drivers or maybe even a mismatch on your pci lane settings.
Not necessarily. All disk writes are cpu intensive as they do have to interrupt the cpu. However, with today's caching and drive speeds, it usually not an issue unless something is wrong with the storage. Still, having more ram is always a good thing.