[SOLVED] Update SATA drivers

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I have a problem with Win 10, my boot drive hard disk is constantly at 100%, I’ve search for solution for this common problem and many solutions have been proposed but none of them helped my situation.

On of the solutions was to update SATA drivers from motherboard manuf, OK sure.

With regard to SATA drivers Gigabyte offer an AMD RAID driver (I have Ryzen 1600), but I’m not using a Raid configuration. Do they package Raid and AHCI drivers together? There is no offering for an AHCI driver. No mention of AHCI on the SATA raid driver.

Is this Raid driver for my AHCI config?

thank you.

Solution
I have a problem with Win 10, my boot drive hard disk is constantly at 100%, I’ve search for solution for this common problem and many solutions have been proposed but none of them helped my situation.

With regard to SATA drivers Gigabyte offer an AMD RAID driver (I have Ryzen 1600), but I’m not using a Raid configuration. Do they package Raid and AHCI drivers together? There is no offering for an AHCI driver. No mention of AHCI on the SATA raid driver.

thank you.
If you have to ask it's not likely Raid.

You do not normally need to update the SATA driver as Windows provides a fully functional one and will...

USAFRet

Titan
This is unlikely to be a "driver" problem.

To fix an issue, you must determine the cause of the issue.

What are all the specific components in this system?
What investigation have you done into a possible software issue? Malware, some screen recording thing,
Or maybe it is a faulty drive.

thank you.
Just an opinion.
AHCI is old and stable.....no updates.
RAID is a work in progress.....updates.

I tested perf with both modes and saw no diff.
So I set it to AHCI and have not looked back.
I suppose there are folks who can use the extra stuff in RAID it does not seem to apply to me.

thank you.
If you have to ask it's not likely Raid.

You do not normally need to update the SATA driver as Windows provides a fully functional one and will keep it 'up to date' if needed. That makes it pointless for MB Mfr's to provide drivers for AHCI SATA. Updating, or updating too a RAID driver can result in loss of data if done improperly (maybe even if done properly).

How full is your boot disk? Can you defrag it? have you ever done it? (open This PC, right click on the boot drive, then Properties/Tools/Optimize.)

If the drive is extremely full another thing to do is a Disk Cleanup, found on the Properties main page (above) for the drive. Be sure to select option to clean up system files too.

Last edited:
Solution

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
This drive is not SSD, drive is 50% full

Things Ive tried

chkdsk /f/r
defrag
sfc /scannow no probs
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
replace SATA cable
disable MSI mode for storahci.sys in registry
killing Runtime Broker in task manager seemed to help, but would start up again by itself
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry eats CPU by scanning computer files and check their compatibility with Windows 10 in case an update is initiated.
I simply clicked on End Task for Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and my disk usage went from 98% to 15% within few seconds, didnt work for me!
Kaspersky Antivirus fnds no issues

there are 100s of people with this problem, and just as many proposed solutions!

This drive is not SSD, drive is 50% full

Things Ive tried

chkdsk /f/r
defrag
sfc /scannow no probs
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
replace SATA cable
disable MSI mode for storahci.sys in registry
killing Runtime Broker in task manager seemed to help, but would start up again by itself
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry eats CPU by scanning computer files and check their compatibility with Windows 10 in case an update is initiated.
I simply clicked on End Task for Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and my disk usage went from 98% to 15% within few seconds, didnt work for me!
Kaspersky Antivirus fnds no issues

there are 100s of people with this problem, and just as many proposed solutions!
does it impact system performance?
Try creating a new account and boot to that account to see if it does it still.

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Yes, takes a long time just to login and shut down.

You may be correct about the account, windows said the other account was corrupt so I created a new one Im using now.

The new account is slow!
I used windows media creation kit to reinstall win 10 on a different hard drive but cant login, login box never appears just spinning icon, this was on a newly formed partition on a different drive.

My next move was to remove all 3 partitions on a 2Tb drive and attempt media creation again creating partition with media creation kit, and install again.

Seagate ST3500413AS

I noticed in the event log there is a recent page fault!
That's when a program requests an address on a page that is not in the current set of memory resident pages. Nothing to do with hard drive health beyond recovering the page from the page set currently held in the page file (or paged pool) on the drive. Doing that a lot leads to a bunch of hard drive activity and most often occurs in memory constrained scenarios.

How much physical memory do you have? How many concurrent apps do you have running in Windows...that includes those you don't see. Look in Task Manager, Performance/CPU tab, No. of Processes, Threads and Handles.

Speaking for myself, from time to time and especially after installing Windows I have seen very high drive activity even with an SSD for system drive. It goes away after a while, I think it might be just Windows being Windows and doing a massive level of background activity like indexing and whatnot that entails drive accesses. A spinner, with it's massively long seek times, will just take a lot longer until it's completed. If it's not intruding on performance and you have no errant apps running I'd just leave it alone.

Last edited:

thai_rat

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for your reply, this computer has 16 gb of ram, yes I agree windows being windows is disk heavy on boot, but waiting minutes to login, shut down with no user apps running and almost nothing in the startup group.

I emptied a 2 Tb drive deleted the partitions and reinstalled windows, creating a new partition with the install media, that seems to have fixed it.