[SOLVED] Update system BIOS ==> UEFI without reinstalling windows 10?

Apr 5, 2020
Hello!

I have a question that surely stems from my lack of understanding of what UEFI really is.

I want to upgrade my computer from an old Intel platform (G850 CPU + MSI M61-E33 M/B) to a new AMD platform (Ryzen 5 + MSI B450 gaming plus max M/B). The computer currently runs Windows 10 64 bits.

For multiple reasons, I do not want to reinstall Windows, just swap the hardware. I know what to do to prepare the system to migrate from Intel to AMD (switch back to the generic IDE drivers, for instance).

Windows however operates in legacy BIOS mode. My boot SSD has an MBR.

As I mentioned, I do not want to reinstall Windows, so formatting the SSD is not an option. Will it work?

If yes, then I'm happy :)

EDIT I forgot to mention that I'm not currently interested in any of the perks brought by UEFI. None of my disks are above 2 TB, I don't really care about SecureBoot, etc.

If no, will either of the following procedures work:

1. Upgrade the computer, then use a Windows USB repair disk to convert the disk to GPT via MBR2GPT.
  2. Upgrade the computer, then use a Windows USB repair disk to format the SSD to GPT, then restore a system clone that was created on my current machine, that is, from an MBR disk.
Of course I suppose that any Windows repair USB disk created with the current machine (legacy BIOS mode) will be accepted by the new hardware...

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks a lot!
Yes preparing the system to switch platforms is easy, just a matter of reverting to generic drivers instead of Intel's.
The question is then really about the new MSI M/B supporting legacy BIOS mode, which I suppose it does.

Thanks again!