**update** Windows not booting from hard drive after successful installation

Dec 24, 2018
So i brought different computer hardware and a second hand hard drive and built the pc, i installed windows 10 using a usb stick,the installation completed ,after restarting the pc and setting the proper boot orders, i get the "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message.
my bios is set to uefi+legacy boot mode, what i noticed however is that the uefi firmware recognizes the connected usb stick in bother uefi and normal states, where it does not recognize the uefi state of the hard drive (which usually holds the boot manager/loader).
the mother board is msi b350 gaming plus.
i have been working on this issue for 3 days and not results, can anyone help?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Did you boot from the UEFI option?
You would've seen the USB boot options that would look something like:
1. [UEFI] NameOfUSB
2. NameOfUSB

Do you (or did you) have more than one drive installed? It's possible the boot manager ended up on one drive and the balance on another.

Dec 24, 2018

yes, i did, the uefi option for the hard drive however is not available (which is related to windows boot manager).
its possible that that there was more than 1 hard drive installed since the hardware are not brand new.

Dec 24, 2018
I installed the windows through the uefi prepared usb stick (used rufus), and made sure that all partitions are gpt.
in the case of boot mode (legacy+uefi)

when i pick uefi only mode, the hard disk disappears, and only the usb is left availabl.

Dec 24, 2018
**UPDATE**
So after a couple of hrs with no result i installed ubuntu linux and it worked perfectly, i kept working on it until my 860 evo ssd arrived, so i decided to continue the installation process with windows, i plugged out the HDD and installed the WIN 10 on the ssd, worked perfectly, however, when i plugged in back the HDD that contains the linux i got boot error ( winload.efi missing or corrupted ), i plugged out the ssd and left the HDD, same issue, the bios seems only to provide the hard disk drive for boot option when both drives are connnected,as its relating the boot file to the hdd that does not have windows, should i do a normal repair, i want to operate both drives and have booting options.