[SOLVED] Updated Bios on Asus Dark Hero, then on restart, no screen signal to monitor. Reset button worked but I have questions

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Specs:
Asus Crosshair Dark Hero
AMD Ryzen 5950X
EVGA FT3 3090 Ultra
Samsung 980 Pro 500gb
GSkill Royal 3600MHZ CL18s 32gb (Silver ones)
Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU
NZXT AIO Kraken x63

Hey guys! I just build this computer yesterday and went straight into updating the bios to the newest version without installing windows 10, but I ran into a little problem. I connected my secondary monitor to the new computer (An old HDMI 24" monitor) as my old computer is still using my main monitor.

I updated to the newest bios. The progress bar went to 100% and it said update was successful and that my computer would restart. So it rebooted and I got the normal black screen with text that says "Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." It rebooted 2 times to that update screen, and on the third time, my monitor didn't have a signal. My Q-code on the mobo read 0d and the little oranged dram LED light was on. (Sidenote: I built a 10900k system a month ago with the same GPU that is in this system now with the same old HDMI monitor, and it on the first boot, no signal on the monitor also [Don't remember the Qcode])

So I freaked out and just left the computer alone for 30 minutes. I then hit the reset button and It booted up just fine and it went to the black screen with white text:

"Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

After that, I got into the bios with the newest bios version and everything seems okay. I still haven't installed windows 10, I wanted some answers first. I have a few questions. Thanks in advance:

1. Did it fully update ? Could the bios be corrupted because on the third restart for the updates the monitor had no signal.

2. When I was in the bios using the EZ flash Utility, the progress bar went all the way to 100% and it said the update was succecssful, and that the system would restart. Wouldn't that be the most important part of the bios update? My screen not getting a signal after the 3rd update reboot, and me resetting my screen should be fine right?

3. Is pressing the CMOS button in the back the same as the restore to defaults options in the bios (load optomized default settings) ?

4. I'm OCD SO I MAY want to do one of the following below. I want to make sure the mobo isn't corrupted or bugged in anyway. Which should I do if I do end up wanting to do this:

a. Press the cmos button in the back of the computer. So from what I understand, I shut down my computer and turn off the PSU switch and unplug it? Press and hold down the cmos button for 5-10 seconds, then start my computer? Is that right?

b. Flash Bios again on my main displayport monitor (so it doesn't hang like the old hdmi monitor which is what I suspect) with the same version.

I apologize for all the questions guys. I'm just really worried that I just damaged my computer. It's a brand new system, I haven't even installed Windows 10 yet as I am not sure what to think right now. Thanks again guys, I appreciate any help you can give me!

Solution
1. If the Bios indicated the system updated, it would be very unusual to be corrupted and say successful. The cause again could be RAM.

2. The system initially restarting a few time is Bios attempting to set correct parameters for your RAM. Again an indication of issue with RAM

3. A CMOS reset is bringing Bios back to default.

4. OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) I can't help with that. If you mean Overclocked then bring Bios back to default.Follow a method as recommended

a. YES however CMOS will not reset if no power to MB.
b. No need to keep flashing Bios.
With the orange DRAM led lit indicates a problem with RAM and QCODE od is a reserved parameter.
Check that your DIMMs are seated correctly especially the offside to the clip.
Just have one DIMM module in the slot meant for single channel to test. (refer to your manual)
If one doesn't work then switch out to another module.

As you are able to get into Bios check if there is an XMP profile for easy Overclocking and enable that.

Please list your RAM P/N. Is your RAM combo a single kit ( 2x16GB) or 2kits (2x8)

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Hey there meanmachine, thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure if you read my full post, but it booted up just fine after I hit the reset button, and its rebooting just fine now. I was just worried that after the 3rd restart to finish its updates, the monitor didn't have a signal, so I waited 30 minutes as I was worried, then hit the reset button and everything seems fine. I'm just worried that when I hit the reset button it didn't update everything properly.

Its x2 sticks of 16gb ram. It's placed on the right DIMMS, checked 10 times

Also if you could take a look at my other questions, I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks

1. If the Bios indicated the system updated, it would be very unusual to be corrupted and say successful. The cause again could be RAM.

2. The system initially restarting a few time is Bios attempting to set correct parameters for your RAM. Again an indication of issue with RAM

3. A CMOS reset is bringing Bios back to default.

4. OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) I can't help with that. If you mean Overclocked then bring Bios back to default.Follow a method as recommended

a. YES however CMOS will not reset if no power to MB.
b. No need to keep flashing Bios.

Last edited:
Solution

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
@MeanMachine41

Okay what happened was, in the bios ez flash utility, the long progress bar went all the way to 100%, and it said it successfully installed and my system would restart. When it restarted, it went to the black screen with white text

""Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

So it rebooted 2 times to this screen, on the third reboot is when my monitor did not have a signal, so I didn't know what to do. I waited 30 minutes then I pressed the reset button and it booted up one more time to the (Apparently this dram monitor no signal boot thing is a bug for these new asus dark hero boards)

"Bios if updating, Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." screen

then it went to the bios after that

My question is

1. Did it update properly?

2. If I'm not sure if it did, would pressing the cmos button put the bios back to the original bios/factory bios/bios that the system came with OR does the cmos button only restores the default setting to the default settings of the CURRENT bios version

3. If pressing the cmos button doesn't overrides the current bios version, could I flash the motherboard with a previous or same bios version? (I have the newest ones)

Sorry if my first set of questions wasn't clear enough. That's what I really need the answer to

Quote "then it went to the bios after that" End quote.

If it goes to Bios then you need to check settings. Time is one parameter to check in main menu and then RAM needs to be configured. there may be others.

1. I would say so or Bios would not be accessible.
  2. Clearing CMOS clears the latest version you have installed.
  3. Clearing CMOS is used when a current config does not work and yes sometimes if a Bios/beta does not work then going back to a previous version is necessary. Latest version usually provide for better hardware capability, better RAM support and better system capability.

In the main menu of Bios there is a date and time setting and other settings that the BIOS/computer needs to POST correctly. These settings can be lost sometimes due to a failing CMOS battery or when updating Bios. The time and date can also be set in windows once you boot successfully.

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
@MeanMachine41

So you're just talking about the time that is on the bios?

"If it goes to Bios then you need to check settings. Time is one parameter to check in main menu and then RAM needs to be configured. there may be others."

So how do I know if the time that the bios is showing is the right time? What should I be looking for? Maybe I'm just not understanding something. So if the computer needs a certain time on the bios to boot, how do I know if the date currently showing on the motherboard is the right one?

Or are you just saying that the time might reset and I'll need to set the correct time time in windows?

I apologize for asking so much questions. Thanks for your help and patience

I mentioned Time and date as an example of one parameter you may need to change. And yes you can change Time , Date and region in Windows which will update same in Bios as well.
There may be others such as DRAM Timing and voltage.

At startup your system goes thru POST (Power on self test) where the system is interrogated to see what hardware you have and that it's working properly. If all is OK then Bios hands over to the OS. If all is not OK then (such as a bad Overclock or bad memory timings) a screen will come up saying to press F1 to go to Bios as something is wrong.