[SOLVED] Updated BIOS - Shows I have a i5-9600k when I actually have an i5-8600k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2021
I have recently updated my BIOS on my Z390 M Gaming; and it now displays that I have an i5-9600K instead of the i5-8600K i actually have.
Do I have to worry about that????

Solution
Sounds like a free upgrade to me, install CPU-Z or even open up taskmanager and see if either of those also show you have a 9600K. I wouldn't really worry about it though, as long as it works and all cores/thread are detected and the core clocks are stable -then there's nothing wrong eh? Now you have bragging rights that you have 9th gen ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Sounds like a free upgrade to me, install CPU-Z or even open up taskmanager and see if either of those also show you have a 9600K. I wouldn't really worry about it though, as long as it works and all cores/thread are detected and the core clocks are stable -then there's nothing wrong eh? Now you have bragging rights that you have 9th gen ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Reactions: javfarx
Solution
Mar 21, 2021

Haha I hope you are right. I installed CPU-Z and it shows the same. I won't stress about it I guess, it must be some sort of early Easter miracle lol

Reactions: Newtonius
Both are essentially the same processor but 9600K stock multiplier is 37 vs. 36
Not an important distinction since you are likely overclocking anyway.
I would not worry likely, you bought the 9600K from someone whio thought it was a 8600K
In case you want to check more, here are two links on the differences:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9600k
In cpu-Z the revision number for the 8600K should be U0
Likely, you will see P0 for the 9600k.

Reactions: javfarx
Status
Not open for further replies.