Updated CPU Charts 2008: AMD Versus Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inveriti

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
To everyone griping about this being "unfair" or "unrealistic," this chart, to me, shows what you can do, best-case-scenario, with the platforms available. AMD vs Intel isn't comparing apples to apples, and most hardware junkies know that. AMD has a good implementation strategy (key being strategy), but not a real-world impact on par with Intel's theoretically flawed quad-core design.

AMD is a budget system. Look at the price of the most expensive AMD chip, the Phenom 9950 compared to Intel's top, the Extreme QX9775. AMD's is $290. Intel's is $1500. Is that really a valid comparison? No. But compare what you get from Intel for $290 versus what you get from AMD for $290, and you're in the right ballpark.

Furthermore, each application references the processor and system resources differently, so while you see a huge gap between quad- and dual-core systems on some threaded applications, games waver between dual-core and quad-core equally. Some, like Crysis, show a big preference for Intel chips' clock speed, while others like Supreme Commander yield a negligible performance difference, even though the primo Intel chips cost $1200 more.

That's why articles like this are so damn good. You can't buy every chipset, every processor, and every memory standard, then test every possible combination. That would yield about 2,000 different setups, not including graphics cards -- a number that would probably make any writer or benchmarker quit their job. What you can do, though, is change as little as possible between tests and qualify your results based on your controlled factors. So, Tom's did their job beautifully in that regard.

How you use data like this is up to you. Personally, I look at the game FPS results and some application benchmarks like file decoding and compressing, consider what factors go into that number (memory type, processor load, graphics load, etc.) and take those into account in addition to how I'm going to use my system. Eventually, I make a judgment call based on my knowledge and projections. Personally, I think the AMD quad-core solutions are a good budget option, worthy of considering alongside the Intel E8400. You can argue that til the cows come home, but the numbers justify it in most cases. For now, I have an E8400 slightly overclocked on a nvidia 600-series chipset and likely will not be upgrading that for a couple of years.

G

There is something wrong about the AMD CPU tables...

1. From the table, Sempron 3000+ (Socket A) has a clock 2000MHz. It has a multi. 10x but with a 166MHz FSB.

I think its FSB is 200MHz but not 166MHz (as 166*10=1660MHz).

2. The step. of AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 5400+ Black Edition should be G2 but not F3; its process should be 65nm but not 90nm.

BTW, the step. of AMD Sempron 64 LE-1100, LE-1150, LE-1200 are G1; LE-1250 is G2.

G

I think u shud have tried for an updated amd motherboard with a combi pack featuring 790fx && Sb750 chipset i m not sure whether its der but i m sure u wud better know what it can give to the platform.........and b sure to update da results.........
[PS i have not chekd da results while posting dis comment,it was just a matter of fact that i liked to mention so m posting it.]

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]inveriti[/nom]To everyone griping about this being "unfair" or "unrealistic," this chart, to me, shows what you can do, best-case-scenario, with the platforms available. AMD vs Intel isn't comparing apples to apples, and most hardware junkies know that. AMD has a good implementation strategy (key being strategy), but not a real-world impact on par with Intel's theoretically flawed quad-core design. AMD is a budget system. Look at the price of the most expensive AMD chip, the Phenom 9950 compared to Intel's top, the Extreme QX9775. AMD's is $290. Intel's is $1500. Is that really a valid comparison? No. But compare what you get from Intel for $290 versus what you get from AMD for $290, and you're in the right ballpark.Furthermore, each application references the processor and system resources differently, so while you see a huge gap between quad- and dual-core systems on some threaded applications, games waver between dual-core and quad-core equally. Some, like Crysis, show a big preference for Intel chips' clock speed, while others like Supreme Commander yield a negligible performance difference, even though the primo Intel chips cost $1200 more. That's why articles like this are so damn good. You can't buy every chipset, every processor, and every memory standard, then test every possible combination. That would yield about 2,000 different setups, not including graphics cards -- a number that would probably make any writer or benchmarker quit their job. What you can do, though, is change as little as possible between tests and qualify your results based on your controlled factors. So, Tom's did their job beautifully in that regard.How you use data like this is up to you. Personally, I look at the game FPS results and some application benchmarks like file decoding and compressing, consider what factors go into that number (memory type, processor load, graphics load, etc.) and take those into account in addition to how I'm going to use my system. Eventually, I make a judgment call based on my knowledge and projections. Personally, I think the AMD quad-core solutions are a good budget option, worthy of considering alongside the Intel E8400. You can argue that til the cows come home, but the numbers justify it in most cases. For now, I have an E8400 slightly overclocked on a nvidia 600-series chipset and likely will not be upgrading that for a couple of years.[/citation]

What you say isn't much different from what I say. If you put the $1500 CPU and $40 CPU in the same chart and compare them, you should state their prices as well as what points they scored.

effex24

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]790FX is currently the fastest AMD chipset out there that enables faster memory bandwidth of Phenoms on stock. It may not be the best overclock board, but for this test that should do it. The best board in Intel world is X48 for now. There's nothing wrong with the choice of the hardware. I do think Tom's staff should include some lower end CPUs into the chart, since they are still on the market. Nehalem and Deneb are coming, and it should keep them busy updating the chart early next year.Also, can we have server CPU chart please? [/citation]

yea, but there are current 790FX boards such as the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe that have the SB750. the 125w 9950 that was just released also wasnt used

i dont consider this an accurate update as it doesnt wholly represent the best of what AMD has to offer

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]effex24
yea, but there are current 790FX boards such as the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe that have the SB750. the 125w 9950 that was just released also wasnt used[/nom][/citation]

SB750 doesn't improve stock CPU performance. It only matters to overclock. HyperTransport connects to 790FX, not SB750 or SB600.

9950 with TDP at 125W won't perform much better than 9950 with TDP at 140W. Actually I think the two will perform exactly the same. It might overclock better, but certainly not performance wise on stock. I think 9950 and 9850 will run almost the same while both clocked to 2.8GHz.

9950/125W is out, like, for two days? Give Tom's staff a break. They need to update this chart, but things don't come faster than speed of light.

G

Please include the X2's and other core 2 Duos. I'd like to see how my current X2 stacks up against newer cpus. Thanks.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I can't find details on the RAM disk used... If this is running in system RAM, then the memory used could make a rather large difference. It is also not a real-world test in that most will not use a RAM disk.

I'd like to also add my voice for CPU prices and MB prices to be included, as well as the price variance of the RAM used.

While I appreciate the effort involved and the philosophy behind the testbeds chosen, it still leaves THG open to claims of bias.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I agree that using a top end Mobo and DDR3 for the Intel boards make no sense. You would be hard pressed to find any DDR3 as a reasonable recommendation for an Intel build. Please check your own articles and own forums. DDR3 is simply not recommended.

Your charts should reflect what performance could be expected if the CPU was purchased and used. The vast majority of the Intel CPUs will be placed into DDR2 systems. As it is, your charts do not reflect real world results.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
lol wtf, everytime a review is held by TH its allwasy negative comments, they do put alot of work into this you guys... they have their reasons.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Phantom93[/nom]lol wtf, everytime a review is held by TH its allwasy negative comments, they do put alot of work into this you guys... they have their reasons.[/citation]
Bashing TH reviews is the "in thing." Half the commentors probably didn't even read the whole thing, but they'll still bash the article just because they follow others like a bunch of sheep.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]790FX is currently the fastest AMD chipset out there that enables faster memory bandwidth of Phenoms on stock. It may not be the best overclock board, but for this test that should do it. The best board in Intel world is X48 for now. There's nothing wrong with the choice of the hardware. I do think Tom's staff should include some lower end CPUs into the chart, since they are still on the market. Nehalem and Deneb are coming, and it should keep them busy updating the chart early next year.Also, can we have server CPU chart please? [/citation]

But the SouthBridge is a 690=OLD/ The test would be better with the NEWER M3A79-T Deluxe.

The M3A79-T Deluxe uses an 790FX northbridge also BUT IS HAS THE NEWER 750 southbridge!!!!

Not only does intel board use faster DDR3-1333 compared to AMD board with slower DDR2-1066; but also the AMD Test Board is OUT OF DATE
since it only had the OLD 690 southbridge.

WHY DO YOU PENALIZE THE AMD TEST SYSTEM.????

obvious bias = bogus results

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
RAM DISK??? Real world performance???

I don't think so. This is hidden BIAS.

Some intel systems are known to have issues with slow access times - but - guess what - the RAM DISK BIAS WILL HIDE THAT.

Mr Angelini - Sorry man, respect for your reporting is going down fast - nanadtek will appreciate bias boy like you. They do similar trix - maybe they taught you.

So far, it's cheap mobo, older model, older chipset, and a dubious not-real-world scamdisk.

grrrrrrrrr
your results are shot by bias and false conditions

Casper42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
In terms of energy efficiency, AMD has an ace up its sleeve: thePhenom X4 9350e is the most energy-efficient quad core processor, with the 2.00 GHz model getting by on just 65 watts.

Well since you opened pandora's box by mentioning Skulltrail, you should have double checked this comment about AMD being the most efficient Quad Core.

I run plenty of Xeon L5420 processors at work which are Quad Core, 2.50 Ghz and have a TDP of only 50W. In case your bad at math, that is a full 15W LESS than the AMD 9350e. Now I know that this chip is commonly installed in pairs, and also more commonly paired with power hungry FBDIMMs, but the fact still remains that it is NOT the most energy efficient Quad Core.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Run the best intel board if you like

but also

Run the best AMD board.

Believe it or not, AMD really does COMPETE with intel
- and better than what is represented here.

I REFUSE TO EVEN READ THE REST OF THIS BOOLLSHITE

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
FROM YOUR INTRODUCTION - This indicates you ar least know about the SB750 - what were you thinking - why not just use a 486 mobo?
Maybe cos the RAMDISK won't work?

""AMD is having trouble keeping up with Intel’s upper echelon of performance-oriented solutions and its current processor models offered only minor overclocking potential up until recently, when the SB750 southbridge improved scalability on Black Edition Phenoms.""

Status
Not open for further replies.