[SOLVED] Updated wrong driver

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Recently installed a adata xpg sx8200 pro nvme, cloned existing os from Samsung 970 pro to new drive and all is well but my new nvme speeds are not per company specs and there is no vendor specific driver and it uses default microsoft nvme driver, so searched in Google and installed openfabrics corporation nvme driver found on win raid forums and now pc boots but stops loading when transitioning to windows, tried built in system recovery and also using usb installer and couldnt load device manager from CMDas its not available, i dont want to restore image or reinstall windows as i have over 8 months various steam and oculus vr games that i have been playing and even few pc games and i would loose all progress, i need help to uninstall driver and revert back, any chance of getting this done, help appreciated highly.

Solution
Windows in theory is meant to create a system restore point before you install drivers.
Do you have a win 10 installer? = On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose system restore
Pick the most recent date it offers, if you lucky its right before you installed driver.
PC will restart and roll settings back to point before date chosen.

You could try a reset, it only touches C drive so if the games are on another drive or partition, you wouldn't even need to reinstall the Steam games.

If you did a reset that kept files/settings, it will save any...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows in theory is meant to create a system restore point before you install drivers.
Do you have a win 10 installer? = On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose system restore
Pick the most recent date it offers, if you lucky its right before you installed driver.
PC will restart and roll settings back to point before date chosen.

You could try a reset, it only touches C drive so if the games are on another drive or partition, you wouldn't even need to reinstall the Steam games.

If you did a reset that kept files/settings, it will save any contents of library folders. Library folders being Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, - so oif your save progress is in a library folder, you wouldn't lose anything

If there is anything on C you want to move/save, try this
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Reactions: lingarajug
Solution

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
@Colif thank you, i do have the windows installer usb, somehow when cloning i did not select the new drive to be part of system protection after cloning and trying to restore results in no restore points and the only viable options i have reset, restore image which i have or reinstall windows, i will try copying the whole c drive to different drive and reinstall and copy back the c drive contents again, BUT is there any other way for me to launch device manager to uninstall the troubling driver, i tried pnputil commands to uninstall but i keep getting that its not oem driver and when i emulate drivers in pnputil i get no published drivers found, i even tried dism commands but it doesn't see the image and not entirely familiar with pnputil or dism commands, is there any other possible way to uninstall that driver, anyway gave up on it and reinstalled windows on the old samsung nvme and now even though bios sees the drive and once new windows loads up the adata drive is not seen by windows for some reason, any ideas.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did try to work out a way to uninstall drivers via CMD. you would need to be in safe mode

I have never used pnputil myself and dism is more for installing windows components, not drivers.

I had an odd week or I would have replied earlier

Does adata drive show up in Disk management?

Reactions: lingarajug

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
The problem was, to be more clear, as i see in device manager the storage section for the adata nvme it shows microsoft driver and it would not update even with the have disk option, so i updated the .inf in storage controller section for the standard nvme express controller which is also by microsoft and i used the have disk option to force driver update, and after that bios can still the drive and i could see the windows boot manager loading and once it tries to load from nvme drive itself it would hang and i have tried using safe mode too but same issue it hangs at boot screen and i left it for about half an hour but still stuck, and i later tried in recovery mode in cmd opening notepad and navigating file repository in drvstore and found the new driver that i flashed and MS stored and deleted it and the same issue, anyway after reinstalling windows again after several reboots windows might have did something to reset that drive and i can see it now and can use it, not sure of what happened earlier, thank you @Colif

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
@Colif i did not do anything and just gave up on fixing it by reinstalling windows on another drive, dont know what it did, apparently in recovery mode command it says x: sources but not C and even if i cd to C it wont do anything and hence i couldnt load device manager, so how could one cd to C in recovery mode cmd, and thank you.