[SOLVED] Updating BIOS for HP Sprout, not sure what BIOS update to pick

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I'm updating my BIOS for my HP Sprout Computer and I don't want to mess this up. I am currently running Windows 10 on the computer but it was bought with Windows 8. I updated windows some time ago. from the choices below, I'm not sure if I pick the first one or the second one (pre-install Windows 10). any help would be appreciated.

Sprout by HP Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2B16)
80.09 Rev.A5.0 MBSep 16, 2015

Sprout by HP Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2B16) pre-install Windows 10
A0.09 Rev.A8.5 MBJun 26, 2019

Last edited:
Solution
HP makes it a bit difficult just to go look around at stuff on their support site as it wants information about the system that we would have to guess at.

Read VERY SPECIFICALLY the notes about the updates in reference to what you are on now and see if they need to be installed in a chronological order, or if you can just pick the new one and go.

BIOS updates can absolutely brick a computer. If you aren't having some specific issue it might not be worthwhile to mess with. In the case that you do, it's best done on an uninterruptible power source. If anything happens to power during the flash your computer is dead.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
HP makes it a bit difficult just to go look around at stuff on their support site as it wants information about the system that we would have to guess at.

Read VERY SPECIFICALLY the notes about the updates in reference to what you are on now and see if they need to be installed in a chronological order, or if you can just pick the new one and go.

BIOS updates can absolutely brick a computer. If you aren't having some specific issue it might not be worthwhile to mess with. In the case that you do, it's best done on an uninterruptible power source. If anything happens to power during the flash your computer is dead.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer
Solution

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Adding RAM does not need a BIOS update.

You should only update the BIOS is there is an actual issue, and a more recent BIOS version addresses that issue.

Do you think I'll need to update when Windows 11 comes out and I want to update? not sure about the whole TPM 1.2, etc ... not sure if I even have that. Of course that could be a whole other issue.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The spec sheet says this is an i7 4790S which does not meet requirements.

I wasn't aware of/wasn't on my radar prior to your mention. It seems like this was a neat idea for a system that just never took off. There are several more years of support out of Windows 10, and this would be a likely candidate for a flavor of Linux. I cannot say what type of support you would come across for it's 'one off' feature and app set though.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you think I'll need to update when Windows 11 comes out and I want to update? not sure about the whole TPM 1.2, etc ... not sure if I even have that. Of course that could be a whole other issue.
Do NOT worry about Win 11 with this system.

Win 10 is still supported untiol 2025, and this system is probably off the bottom of the supported list for Win 11.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
The spec sheet says this is an i7 4790S which does not meet requirements.

I wasn't aware of/wasn't on my radar prior to your mention. It seems like this was a neat idea for a system that just never took off. There are several more years of support out of Windows 10, and this would be a likely candidate for a flavor of Linux. I cannot say what type of support you would come across for it's 'one off' feature and app set though.

Yeah, it was kind of cool at first with the scanner thing from above and all. It still performs pretty good for a 2014 computer. I'll hold off on the BIOS ... thanks for your help.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So there is nothing I can do for Windows 11? I have to stay with Windows 10? thanks for the help.

There is currently an .iso file floating around that will allow you to install 11. Many, many reports are coming out that upon official release that a 'kill code' and or lack of updates will occur as Microsoft has so far mostly stuck to the requirements they mentioned on the announcement. Aside from adding a couple of 7th gen CPU.

If this PC is operating as expected and the new RAM addition is working I see no reason to go poking the bear. Use it, enjoy it, and save up for that new system in '25, or consider Linux.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
There is currently an .iso file floating around that will allow you to install 11. Many, many reports are coming out that upon official release that a 'kill code' and or lack of updates will occur as Microsoft has so far mostly stuck to the requirements they mentioned on the announcement. Aside from adding a couple of 7th gen CPU.

If this PC is operating as expected and the new RAM addition is working I see no reason to go poking the bear. Use it, enjoy it, and save up for that new system in '25, or consider Linux.

I guess the Linux thing is something to consider for the future, I know nothing about it, I should totally read up on it. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS