[SOLVED] Updating BIOS. Making sure I'm doing it right

HuggyHare

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm about to update my BIOS for the first time as I've been getting regular BSoD lately and I’m going through the process of elimination. So it's squeaky bum time for me and I just want to make sure I've got it right.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-GAMING
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 64-bit
My current BIOS is version F42a and I see that the latest one is F60h.

I'm slightly confused because on the Gigabyte website there's a note by version F50 saying "Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 description"
And by F40 - "Note: If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40."
I might be a bit dim here but just making sure, I can ignore these notes and go straight to F60h. Right?
Thanks in advance

Solution
There is always a risk in updating a bios if the flash should fail during the process.
Power failure, for example.
Recovery process will depend on the motherboard.
Best to read about that first.
Bios updates will usually fix minor issues. If the updates do not seem to address your problem, I would look first to other possible causes.
If you do update, do it via usb, not through windows. Windows is more likely to fail.
Download the update to a fat 32 formatted usb stick.
The motherboard flash process should verify that the flash code is compatible before proceeding.
I suspect the very latest will be ok.
But I think I would follow the instructions explicitly and update to F32 first.

What might have changed since all was well? Look...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone. I'm about to update my BIOS for the first time as I've been getting regular BSoD lately and I’m going through the process of elimination. So it's squeaky bum time for me and I just want to make sure I've got it right.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-GAMING
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 64-bit
My current BIOS is version F42a and I see that the latest one is F60h.

I'm slightly confused because on the Gigabyte website there's a note by version F50 saying "Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 description"
And by F40 - "Note: If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40."
I might be a bit dim here but just making sure, I can ignore these notes and go straight to F60h. Right?
Thanks in advance
Use the BIOS tools to do a flash. Load the new file on a USB drive and use the BIOS flash tools.
BSOD does not imply you NEED a BIOS update. Is it possible? Yes. Is it going to fix anything? Maybe no.
The notes for the BIOS versions after what you have do not have any specific notes for stability fixes. My guess, you will not get any change in your problem.

HuggyHare

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Use the BIOS tools to do a flash. Load the new file on a USB drive and use the BIOS flash tools.
BSOD does not imply you NEED a BIOS update. Is it possible? Yes. Is it going to fix anything? Maybe no.
The notes for the BIOS versions after what you have do not have any specific notes for stability fixes. My guess, you will not get any change in your problem.

You could well be right but so far I've reinstalled Windows, did a Memtest, checked and cleaned my connections and I'm running out of options. It's either the PSU, the CPU or the BIOS, surely?

...I'm running out of options. It's either the PSU, the CPU or the BIOS, surely?
kanewolf is absolutely right.
If you haven't changed some hardware at the time BSoD's started (and BIOS can't just change by itself), then you should maybe look elsewhere.
I usually update BIOS (if newer version available) when I add/replace some important PC component, or newer BIOS version has feature I'm interested on.
...Again, WHEN the BSOD happens is important.
-yes, very important. Try to find the "pattern" in what situations BSoD's happen.

HuggyHare

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
PSU? Possibly. Is the BSOD coming during heavy stress? Overheating? Possible. Again, WHEN the BSOD happens is important.

It happens mostly when I use my Reaper music DAW on some large projects. Sometimes it happens when I start my PC. Before I cleaned the connections it was happening all the time even when idling. It doesn't seem to be overheating. I think I'll take the advice and hold back on the BIOS update as it's starting to sound unlikely.

kanewolf

Titan
It happens mostly when I use my Reaper music DAW on some large projects. Sometimes it happens when I start my PC. Before I cleaned the connections it was happening all the time even when idling. It doesn't seem to be overheating. I think I'll take the advice and hold back on the BIOS update as it's starting to sound unlikely.
Reaper is probably heavy on RAM. Was your "memtest" referred to earlier, several hours of memtest86?
It could still be overheating of the VRMs on the motherboard if you have airflow problems in the case. What CPU cooler are you using?

HuggyHare

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Reaper is probably heavy on RAM. Was your "memtest" referred to earlier, several hours of memtest86?
It could still be overheating of the VRMs on the motherboard if you have airflow problems in the case. What CPU cooler are you using?

Yes, the MemTest86, that's the one.
I'm using the Wraith cooler that came with the CPU. Reaper used to work fine no matter what I threw at it.

There is always a risk in updating a bios if the flash should fail during the process.
Power failure, for example.
Recovery process will depend on the motherboard.
Best to read about that first.
Bios updates will usually fix minor issues. If the updates do not seem to address your problem, I would look first to other possible causes.
If you do update, do it via usb, not through windows. Windows is more likely to fail.
Download the update to a fat 32 formatted usb stick.
The motherboard flash process should verify that the flash code is compatible before proceeding.
I suspect the very latest will be ok.
But I think I would follow the instructions explicitly and update to F32 first.

What might have changed since all was well? Look there first to see if you can't find a less sinister explanation.

What is the make/model of your psu?
I might put that at the head of my suspect list.

Solution
What is your graphics card?
Regardless of the source of your problem, I would consider the update to a modern high quality power supply as a good investment.
A cheap power supply can be dangerous. Not so much that it might fail, but that it may not have protective circuitry to keep from damaging other parts if it does.

its like going in circles, if u experience BSODs, windows have dmp files, upload them and post it here
if RAM is unstable in windows while memtest86 says all is fine, then u have low voltage
updating bios with unstable ram can produce bad flash and bricked mainboard

to rule out bad ram overclock, disable XMP profile

Reactions: HuggyHare

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
There is a risk of bricking your board any time you upgrade BIOS, but having worked in the industry for 20yrs I have done it hundreds of times and only had 1 brick in all that time. Also be aware that should you brick your BIOS chip, it can often be replaced very easily. That is what I did in that 1 instance I had a bricked board, and the cost was about $20. The thing is usually you have to order the replacement chip from China or Taiwan and it can take weeks to arrive. Is there a risk when flashing BIOS? Yes, though I think people tend to be overly cautious when it comes to the PROBABLE risk regarding this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HuggyHare

HuggyHare

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for great advice and expertise.
In the end I replaced my PSU with the Corsair RM850x. That's all I needed to do. No more crashes! I haven't updated the BIOS, if it works, don't fix it.
I have to say, PSUs have moved on since I last bought one about 10 years ago. Very impressed with Corsair.

Isn't there a "Resolved" button to press somewhere?

Reactions: ChangeinPortland