[SOLVED] Updating calibre for Windows

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Hi,
For the past several weeks, every time I launch calibre, I am greeted with the message that a new version is available. Hitting the "Update" link, I am taken to the download page where downloading the setup file (which is around 100 MB). Am I missing something here or is downloading the entire software and re-installing it the only way to update it?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Typically for a lot of Windows software, yes, you download and install the whole package again. It's not like Android OS whereyou can choose to update or full install.

Some windows applications like Nvidia Driver for example, will allow a custom install where you can choose specific parts of the install as you like. Not all apps are like that though.

Either way, is downloading a 100mb file and installing it 20 seconds, that much of an ask?

Edit: Having the most up to date software may work out glitches or bugs, so it's always best to update for compatibility.
Typically for a lot of Windows software, yes, you download and install the whole package again. It's not like Android OS whereyou can choose to update or full install.

Some windows applications like Nvidia Driver for example, will allow a custom install where you can choose specific parts of the install as you like. Not all apps are like that though.

Either way, is downloading a 100mb file and installing it 20 seconds, that much of an ask?

Edit: Having the most up to date software may work out glitches or bugs, so it's always best to update for compatibility.

Solution

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Sorry for the delay but thanks for the reply. The whole fuss with downloading 100 MB was that I only had access to the Internet via my mobile phone's hotspot and the data cap is at 1.4 GB a day.