Updating drive setup: bootable clone or new drives

VI_fizz

Honorable
May 17, 2014
Ok, so I was in the midst of playing some Tomb Raider 2013 when I started getting stutters (brutal spikes in my frame-time graph). The game was running perfectly fine earlier so I found it rather disconcerting. I've already updated graphics drivers, but my 660 is over five years old now so it might be on it's last legs. Granted, I have not tested it with other games yet, if it continues to other games I will be far more concerned.

I also read that this could be a sign of drive failure, and given that most of my build is over five years old, I figured its probably time to tackle my storage situation anyway. I'm about to go off to Uni and I don't want my pc quitting on me during school.

* indicates original hardware from prebuilt (2013)
My build:
*Win7 64
*WD Blue (old, boot)
WD Black (newer, empty)
*Unknown mobo (probably some dell pos)
*GTX 660 1.5gb
*i7 3770 w/ Hyper 212 evo
*16gb 1600mhz
Corsair CX500

My Options/plan:
1. Create a bootable clone of my current drive onto the newer WD and continue on my marry way.
2. Get Win10 on install usb, remove old drive, install os on newer WD, reinstate old drive, copy data over.
3. Buy SSD, Install Win10 on it, port data from old drive to WD Black, maybe use old drive for additional unimportant storage (I am tempted to just ditch it though, however I do have an external enclosure I could put it in)
4. Buy SSD and 3TB HDD, Install Win10 on SSD, port data to WD Black, create backup partition on 3TB drive, enjoy the remainder as storage.

The first option is the very least I can do, but it would potentially make things easier down the road if I go for one of the other options. 3 and 4 are very similar, so If I go either, I'll use my old drive to check if the third sata port on my mobo actually supports drives (I don't like this mobo and there is no info about it anywhere, but the socket is old so getting a newer one would be a pain)

I'm leaning towards 3/4, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Given that the current install has "issues" a direct clone might just be moving the problem from the old drive to the new drive. Cloning doesn't "fix" anything.

NOTE: With the new install on the SSD, you'll need to reinstall all your drivers and applications as well.

USAFRet

Titan
Given that the current install has "issues" a direct clone might just be moving the problem from the old drive to the new drive. Cloning doesn't "fix" anything.

NOTE: With the new install on the SSD, you'll need to reinstall all your drivers and applications as well.

Solution

VI_fizz

Honorable
May 17, 2014

That's a good point, thanks for the input :)