[SOLVED] Updating Firmware Without Operating System

dial

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I have a Seagate 3500620AS hard drive that was part of an HP slimline computer running Windows Vista. The drive is the only part of the computer I have left. The drive is working, but I want to update the firmware and use the drive more. Without the firmware update, the drive can become inaccessible.

Do you think I can update the drive using firmware provided by Seagate even though HP provided some firmware (which I couldn't install because I was using the wrong operating system)? Can you update firmware on secondary drives?

Many thanks

Solution
It's just a standard Seagate HDD regardless of which prebuilt system it originally came from -- so the fact it came from an HP system is irrelevant.

The firmware update process takes place under DOS, so it doesn't matter which version of Windows is installed on the host PC.

The firmware update is here with full step-by-step instructions via link on page:

If there is important data on that drive, please take note of Seagate's advice to back it up before the firmware update is performed (don't leave it to chance)....
It's just a standard Seagate HDD regardless of which prebuilt system it originally came from -- so the fact it came from an HP system is irrelevant.

The firmware update process takes place under DOS, so it doesn't matter which version of Windows is installed on the host PC.

The firmware update is here with full step-by-step instructions via link on page:

If there is important data on that drive, please take note of Seagate's advice to back it up before the firmware update is performed (don't leave it to chance).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can you update firmware on secondary drives?"

Yes.

Last edited:
Solution

JoeMcDonalds27

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 26, 2016
Yes, you can surely update the firmware of the hard disk using the Segate provide firmware. And yes, you can update the firmware on the secondary drive too. You can refer to seagate. com/in/en/support/kb/firmware-update-for-st3500320as-st3500620as-st3500820as-st3640330as-st3640530as-st3750330as-st3750630as-st31000340as-207951en/

for further details on how to update the firmware for your drive.

Regards,
Joe

TRENDING THREADS