Updating GPU driver disabled my machine

Justice2K

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello,

Yesterday I asked why, for no overt reason, my computer would only boot at a 600 x 800 resolution and not allow me to change it (see: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3027444/change-resolution.html#xtor=EPR-8809)

I followed the response I got by updating the driver. The update was successful, and it asked me to restart. But when I do so, nothing happens when it gets past the first Windows load screen. All I get is a black screen and that loading blue circle, perpetually.

I built this machine on my own about 16 months ago, but I'm not very good at software/corruption maintenance and I have no idea why this is happening. The machine has never had any physical trauma and has only been moved once, after which it worked perfectly fine for months before this. Please help!

warhead0

Distinguished
Try booting with no gpu and monitor plugged into motherboard, this will utilize the integrated graphics.

From here you can try completely uninstalling the drivers and trying to install a different version you know works.

Justice2K

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion. I hooked it up to the motherboard and no problems; put the GPU back in and same thing, which means it's definitely a GPU issue.

Not sure what to do from here though. I can't install the right driver for the GPU if the GPU is not in the machine to begin with, correct?