[SOLVED] Updating motherboad bios

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
Hi, I have an msi mag x570 gaming plus motherboard with an amd ryzen 5 3600xt. I want to eventually upgrade to a ryzen 5 5600x, but need to do a bios update. If I were to update the bios,

1. How would I do it using the bios flash usb port button on the back of the motherboard.

2. Where would I get the bios

3. Would there be performance or compatibility issues with my existing processor.

Solution
Hi, I have an msi mag x570 gaming plus motherboard with an amd ryzen 5 3600xt. I want to eventually upgrade to a ryzen 5 5600x, but need to do a bios update. If I were to update the bios,

1. How would I do it using the bios flash usb port button on the back of the motherboard.

3. Would there be performance or compatibility issues with my existing processor.
1. on the top rear of your motherboard, that have the sign flash bios

2. Here is the link of the latest bios: https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7C37vAF3.zip

3. Nope.

The procedure is simple, download the bios, unzip the downloaded file, copy the folder from extracted file to flashdrive (must be formatted as fat32), inside the folder...

2. Here is the link of the latest bios: https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7C37vAF3.zip

3. Nope.

The procedure is simple, download the bios, unzip the downloaded file, copy the folder from extracted file to flashdrive (must be formatted as fat32), inside the folder you will see the bios file (the one that named E7C37AMS.AF3) copy it into the folder, and name it into MSI.ROM (yes, let the file extension changed from AF3 into .rom, just rename it completely MSI.ROM), and now you have 2 bios file, E7C37AMS.AF3 and MSI.ROM . then after that plug the flash drive into top rear usb slot under the button for bios flash (in the same row, exactly below the button), and then plug the mobo cpu cables and 24pin into psu, turn it on, and press that button, and see if the led blinking

Here's how to if you don't understand:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

(just make a copy of the bios and rename it MSI.ROM, instead of renaming the bios directly, so that you have 2 bios, E7C37AMS.AF3 and MSI.ROM)

Last edited:
Solution

Flashing the bios.....you look in the manual.....page 43 maybe.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v2.2.pdf

You get the bios from the mobo site.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

Will it work with the old cpu....beats me.
Maybe put the old bios on a flash stick and set it aside.
If the new bios makes a mess just flash back.

popatim

Titan
1: Thats info is in the manual. Available on MSI's site for your board.
2: MSI's support site for that board
3: not normally but I did read on Asrocks forum for a board I was looking at to not update the bios to the one supporting the 5000 series until i was ready to install it as there were problems running the 3000 series. I'm not sure if that was specific for that board or not but worth a google.

The support site for your board is here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS

If you are running ok now, do not update the bios.
Normally, nothing goes wrong, but glitches happen. Power failure, for example.

Wait until you have a 5600x and are ready to upgrade.
At that time, download the most current bios to do the update.
Likely, it will have fixes not present in today's version.

I would update BIOS.

Since your system is working I'd do it using the update app that's in the BIOS screen. READ YOU MANUAL, it covers the process. It's really very simple. Just don't do it during a time your power might go out (as in a raging thunderstorm) and you'll be fine.

Get the updated BIOS ONLY from your motherboard's support web site (linked above).

AFTER the update is complete BE CERTAIN to reset CMOS. If you don't your system may be unstable until you do.

The reason to update BIOS even before going to the new CPU is the latest updates set up certain defaults so that Windows 11 is better supported. This way you won't have to fiddle with them.

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
I

3. Nope.

The procedure is simple, download the bios, unzip the downloaded file, copy the folder from extracted file to flashdrive (must be formatted as fat32), inside the folder you will see the bios file (the one that named E7C37AMS.AF3) copy it into the folder, and name it into MSI.ROM (yes, let the file extension changed from AF3 into .rom, just rename it completely MSI.ROM), and now you have 2 bios file, E7C37AMS.AF3 and MSI.ROM . then after that plug the flash drive into top rear usb slot under the button for bios flash (in the same row, exactly below the button), and then plug the mobo cpu cables and 24pin into psu, turn it on, and press that button, and see if the led blinking

Here's how to if you don't understand:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

(just make a copy of the bios and rename it MSI.ROM, instead of renaming the bios directly, so that you have 2 bios, E7C37AMS.AF3 and MSI.ROM)
Just to make sure, I should have the cpu and motherboard power connectors plugged in and nothing else, then during boot hit the button while the drive it in it?

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
I would update BIOS.

Since your system is working I'd do it using the update app that's in the BIOS screen. READ YOU MANUAL, it covers the process. It's really very simple. Just don't do it during a time your power might go out (as in a raging thunderstorm) and you'll be fine.

Get the updated BIOS ONLY from your motherboard's support web site (linked above).

AFTER the update is complete BE CERTAIN to reset CMOS. If you don't your system may be unstable until you do.

The reason to update BIOS even before going to the new CPU is the latest updates set up certain defaults so that Windows 11 is better supported. This way you won't have to fiddle with them.
I've actually been trying to get windows 11, but can't find a legit .iso

I

Just to make sure, I should have the cpu and motherboard power connectors plugged in and nothing else, then during boot hit the button while the drive it in it?
actually, i just re read your post, here is the simpler way:
do this step by step (read until end):
  • Download the file i highlighted (the bios one) and extract the file, copy the folder to usb drive (must be formatted fat32), and plug the usb drive on the top rear usb slot on motherboard.

Bios File

• Then Disconnect from internet
  • Go to device manager and uninstall all the processors (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• After that close the device manager, and restart the pc to bios, find mflash menu and enter the menu, then proceed installing the latest bios. After you updated the bios, go to bios again and check if the bios is the latest, then power off your system (just dont go to windows, and power off your system), replace the cpu, then power on and go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
reset cmos (or load default bios settings) before you start flashing...sometimes user changes in bios can break flashing process, which will result in bricked mobo
Okay, I understand now how to flash the bios, what are all the preventive steps you know of to not brick your motherboard (my friends got bricked)

Okay, I understand now how to flash the bios, what are all the preventive steps you know of to not brick your motherboard (my friends got bricked)
just make sure you don't have any blackouts :D
Like what @kerberos_20 said, reset all the bios to default, save and exit, go to bios again and update the bios to the latest.

Or you could do this when you have the 5600x on hand:
actually, i just re read your post, here is the simpler way:
do this step by step (read until end):
  • Download the file i highlighted (the bios one) and extract the file, copy the folder to usb drive (must be formatted fat32), and plug the usb drive on the top rear usb slot on motherboard.

Bios File

• Then Disconnect from internet
  • Go to device manager and uninstall all the processors (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• After that close the device manager, and restart the pc to bios, find mflash menu and enter the menu, then proceed installing the latest bios. After you updated the bios, go to bios again and check if the bios is the latest, then power off your system (just dont go to windows, and power off your system), replace the cpu, then power on and go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
just go into bios, go into boot section or find "Load Optimized/Load defaults", apply that option then save and exit.
Or easily unplug the psu from power source, take the cmos battery on the motherboard off, and push power button or 10seconds, and put everything back in.
I think a cmos reset would be easier

download bios few times, md5 compare them between eachother...sometimes errors can happen during download and some data might be not what its supposed to be
once ure sure you got right data, put in on usb thumb drive
reboot to bios
use F7 key to stay in advanced mode (F7 switches between EZ mode and advanced)
clik on settings and click restore defaults, then click save changes and reboot
go back to bios
and click m-flash (its on both advanced or EZ click)
View: https://youtu.be/LRyFMf0D9Lc?t=60