updating my Graphics card.

whitekidcory

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I am thinking about purchasing a RX470 for my pc but don't know if my motherboard will be too old to support it because it is only a gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P. If i do need a new one what am I looking for? also my CPU is AMD in case it will affect anyone answer.

Solution
Your motherboard has no problems supporting an RX470. It just requires a PCIex16 slot. Although the GPU is PCIe v3.0, it is backward-compatible with your MB which has a PCIe v2.0. The GPU will run in PCIe2.0 speed though, but, is not at all noticeable.

As to your CPU (FX series) bottlenecking the performance of the RX470, there *might be*, there *might be not*. Really depends on the game you play, or how much you overclock the CPU. But there's a high chance, especially when playing CPU-intensive games (but probably in worst-case scenarios only).

I'd also look into your PSU though, if it has enough power for this upgrade.
Your motherboard has no problems supporting an RX470. It just requires a PCIex16 slot. Although the GPU is PCIe v3.0, it is backward-compatible with your MB which has a PCIe v2.0. The GPU will run in PCIe2.0 speed though, but, is not at all noticeable.

As to your CPU (FX series) bottlenecking the performance of the RX470, there *might be*, there *might be not*. Really depends on the game you play, or how much you overclock the CPU. But there's a high chance, especially when playing CPU-intensive games (but probably in worst-case scenarios only).

I'd also look into your PSU though, if it has enough power for this upgrade.

Solution

whitekidcory

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

Awesome that's all I needed to know. Thank you so much.

TRENDING THREADS