updating to the new nvidia drivers while having the old gen 1080Ti

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
guys i have a simple question, we all have heard over the years that nvidia when it releases the new gpu gen in our case Turing, they create new drivers which tank the performance of old gen cards...so people upgrade ... how to true is this statement ? because i bought the new Shadow of the tomb raider game and want to play it with latest drivers 399.24 which are released for the RTX cards... i have a 1080Ti

Solution
I remember reading an article about this a while back and not only did they disprove this rumour they proved that Nvidia still made performance gains on older cards with driver updates, just not very big gains but what would you expect from a mature card.
Not true at all because they are different drivers... if you search in nvidias website. The 10 series are in its own category and so will be the 11 or 20 series (whatever they are going to list it as).

So you wont be downloading RTX drivers for a GTX card... they are in a completely different family of drivers.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Erm, nope, they're the same driver (except maybe if you have a really old card and you're downloading legacy drivers or something) Try going to Nvidia's driver page and selecting a 10 series card and then do it again with a 9 series card, they'll both bring you to the same page, in this case the page for the 399.24 drivers mentioned by the OP. If you look at the "supported products" tab for that driver, it'll list all their cards going back to 600 series. I mean, what actually gets installed might be different, but you're downloading/running the same package regardless of what GPU series you have.

That being said, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in rumours about Nvidia deliberately crippling older cards with new drivers.

I remember reading an article about this a while back and not only did they disprove this rumour they proved that Nvidia still made performance gains on older cards with driver updates, just not very big gains but what would you expect from a mature card.

Solution

Except if you try to force install a series 10 driver on a series 9 card. It wont work. That is because they are NOT the same.

While most of the time similar drivers can work on similar cards. (like series 9 to series 10) does not make it the same driver. Most of the time there are tweaks in the driver files which make one compatible with one series and not with the other, hence, not the same driver.

So it still sticks true. You wont be downloading and installing RTX drivers on a GTX card. It is that simple. Even if it is a simple text file in the driver telling it to not install RTX on the GTX cards. That alone is enough for it to be a different driver and in a different category.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@androbourne I feel like you didn't read my post properly. On Nvidia's site, whether you browse to the drivers for a 10 series card or you browse to the drivers for a 900 series card, it brings you to the exact same driver package. I don't see how you could "try to force install a series 10 driver on a series 9 card", given that the executable provided by Nvidia is literally the exact same regardless which card you have.

Maybe the new RTX 20 series cards will actually have a unique download, but as of right now those cards aren't listed on Nvidia's driver site so I couldn't say.

Edit: As I said above, what the executable ultimately installs could be different dependent on which card you have.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Ok, you had me confused because you explicitly said that you'd be downloading different drivers depending on what card series you had...

In my first post I mentioned that what the driver package ultimately installs might be different based on what card you have, but you download the same installer regardless.

No.. I said you wouldn't be force installing a 10 series onto a 9 series...

Like Rob said, you can download the drivers and on Nvidia site it might say its the same driver version for each card. HOWEVER it is not the same driver. They normally bundle their drivers together.

Hence GTX drivers are not the same as RTX drivers and the system would know this and not install RTX drivers out of the bundle on a GTX system...

They are completely different drivers. You can download the latest drives and just extract them and see drivers are bundled...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, I'm being pedantic here, but you will in fact be downloading RTX drivers as part of the package you download for you GTX card, contrary to what you initially said. Which is what prompted me to comment in the first place. I understand that the RTX drivers wouldn't ultimately end up getting installed in that scenario.

The point is they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DRIVERS. AKA it wont effect a GTX card when installing a bundle that includes RTX drivers. It is that simple. The RTX drivers will be ignored and doesn't effect the card in any way.

So reports of slowness on older gen cards with driver updates are totally wrong because it does not install RTX drivers on a GTX card.

Does that make sense? That is the point I'm making. It is pretty simple to understand.