[SOLVED] Updating Windows 10 from 7 without losing files

Jan 7, 2020
So on my aunts computer she uses quickbooks and also tons of programs and files that she needs. Quickbooks finally is forcing her to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7. What version of windows would I need to buy and can I install it without losing anything?

Solution
1. With any major software.hardware change/upgrade, "losing files" is always a possibility. Power gets interrupted, someone clicks the wrong button....
Always always have a backup, and know how to recover it.

2. You can 'probably' still Upgrade to Win 10 for free. Assuning it is currently Win 7 Home, Win 10 Home is what it will upgrade to.

Backup your data.
Discover all your existing software license keys, and have them documented. Belarc Advisor can do this.
GO here and create a WIn 10 USB to install with: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You'll need a blank 8GB USB flash drive
Boot from that, and it will probably give you the option to Upgrade the current Win 7 to Win 10.

But first, backup your...
Jan 7, 2020
My aunt has Windows 7 and important programs such as quickbooks and it is having her upgrade to windows 10. What version of windows 10 do i have to get and can I do this wihtout losing any files at all?

USAFRet

Titan
1. With any major software.hardware change/upgrade, "losing files" is always a possibility. Power gets interrupted, someone clicks the wrong button....
Always always have a backup, and know how to recover it.

2. You can 'probably' still Upgrade to Win 10 for free. Assuning it is currently Win 7 Home, Win 10 Home is what it will upgrade to.

Backup your data.
Discover all your existing software license keys, and have them documented. Belarc Advisor can do this.
GO here and create a WIn 10 USB to install with: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You'll need a blank 8GB USB flash drive
Boot from that, and it will probably give you the option to Upgrade the current Win 7 to Win 10.

But first, backup your data...;)

Reactions: wpgwpg and joedapro
Solution

TRENDING THREADS