Updating Windows 10 Home to Pro w/ OEM key in BIOS

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Before I try, can someone confirm this is correct. I have a Dell XPS 13 that came with Windows 10 Home. I have a license from the previous computer for Pro. When I went to do a clean install of Pro the computer ended up with an activated version of Home (because that is what the key in the BIOS is). To upgrade to Pro now, do I just choose to change the product key and enter the Pro key and it should unlock the Pro features...or do I need to do something else? Thanks.

Solution
The licence isn't stored in bios, its stored on Microsoft servers. The reason you got home is cause that PC had home on it before, and your version was based on the previous OEM status. Your dell came with home, the licence key + productid are stored on Microsoft servers and when you installed win 10 again, it auto activated that version again.

Did you enter the Pro key when you installed it?

All you need do is go to settings/update & security/activation and click change product key under Upgrade your edition of windows

USAFRet

Titan

It "should" work like that.
Enter the Pro license key and see what happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The licence isn't stored in bios, its stored on Microsoft servers. The reason you got home is cause that PC had home on it before, and your version was based on the previous OEM status. Your dell came with home, the licence key + productid are stored on Microsoft servers and when you installed win 10 again, it auto activated that version again.

Did you enter the Pro key when you installed it?

All you need do is go to settings/update & security/activation and click change product key under Upgrade your edition of windows

Solution