"Updating Windows" boot loop

Blue_Dragon360

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I recently upgraded to an SSD, I don't know if this is related.

While my PC was idle, it shut down for some reason (probably updates). I came back to an "Updating Windows" screen -- the exact screen used when installing, that big circle icon with a percentage. I have never had a computer boot to that on its own, but I assumed it was some important update. I let it do its thing.

Later, I came back to it doing this strange boot loop:
Motherboard splash screen
Normal W10 loading icon
Screen flash
A second, slightly larger loading icon
The "Updating WIndows" screen. Starts at 0%, raises to 75% a split second later, then disappears and turns off. This happens in about 1/5th of a second.

I booted into a startup repair disk, and ran startup repair. It said it couldn't fix issues. Next, I ran a chkdsk, there were issues it fixed but the boot loop is still in place.

Since I just installed an SSD last week, I still have my previous disk with the operating system still functioning. I booted it up, turned off automatic updates, and checked to see what may have caused this on my current disk. There were 2 updates available: A flash player update for IE, and Windows 10 version 1511 10586. I assume it is the latter, but I have no idea how it installed, since I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THE INSTALL. Automatic updates are enabled, but I would have thought it'd install in November, when it was released (not 2 months later!)

I don't dare install it on my backup, in case I have to re-clone the SSD.

I'm at a loss, and I can't find anything online. What should I do?

Edit: Details

Solution
I had this same issue a week ago. I ran CHKDSK, SFC, System Restore, nothing worked. I had to recopy my old drive to the SSD, delete the windows update folder from the ssd (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download) and after that everything worked perfectly, even the updates.

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I had this same issue a week ago. I ran CHKDSK, SFC, System Restore, nothing worked. I had to recopy my old drive to the SSD, delete the windows update folder from the ssd (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download) and after that everything worked perfectly, even the updates.

Solution

Blue_Dragon360

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Somebody else! I'm surprised, it seems like this is a pretty specific problem. Appreciate the input, I'll try what you did if nobody else responds. Was your SSD newly installed as well? Did the update begin without you starting it?

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
It was a freshly installed Samsung SSD, using their software to copy the boot drive. It was about a week after installing the SSD that the system reported an update was downloaded and installed and had to reboot to finish the process.
After copying the system again and deleting the windows update folder the system has updated and worked fine.
Good luck!

Blue_Dragon360

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

It worked! Running great now. Thank you!

Really odd occurrence, though. I wonder if it has something to do with being halfway through the download... Or downloading on one disk before switching to the second.

Blue_Dragon360

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Oh, cool! Definitely keep us posted :)

Might want to back up the update folder, just in case it redownloads or something along those lines.

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Tried it again without deleting the update folder, did an update from Microsoft. After rebooting the system hung up for over an hour while waiting to finish installing updates, there was no hard drive activity. I manually rebooted and the system failed just like it did previously. Imaged again, deleted the update folder and everything worked.