[SOLVED] Updgrading my GPU from GeForce 950 2GB to GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB or comparable

Feb 15, 2020
My System: ASUS A88x USB3.1 plus motherboard | AMD Athlon X4 860K CPU | NVIDIA GeForce 950 2GB Video Card | SSD/HDD

Hi All,

Built my own system a few years ago which was intended to be a mid range desktop PC which could handle the odd game. Games I play are AOE2, PUBG and Post Scriptum.

PUBG plays alright but does seem to max out my CPU. Not sure exactly what the frame rates are but it's ok and plus this game's gone downhill and I'm not fussed about it anymore.

Post Scriptum plays ok but doesn't give me the best frame rate, I would say roughly between 30-40 on mid level settings dropping even lower at points. I'm starting to really like this game and would like to be able to get really good performance on it. When running task manager whilst playing I wouldn't say it's maxing out my CPU or GPU so just wondering as to why my frame rates aren't great when it looks like the CPU and GPU aren't being maxed out like when playing PUBG. Maybe its because my card is on 2BG VRAM when the recommended is 6GB? Anyway I'm not sure.

I was thinking about upgrading my GPU to get better performance on this game. I don't particularly want to build a whole new system yet because I don't really play many games and would be happy to just get Post Scriptum playing smoothly with good graphics. So would putting a reasonable amount of money into a new card (either new or second hand deal) around £100 - £250 price range make the difference I am looking for? Ideally would like to play the game high settings with a decent frame rate, say a stable 60.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

BTW I'm not a complete PC bod, I know a fair amount but any simple explanations are welcome.

Solution
1660 Super is a big leap from 950 and a good one, if it was only dependent on the GPU, you would see a great deal of improvement in the fps of any game but unfortunately that's not the case.

You can upgrade to 1660 and hope for the best, but your CPU will be the limiting factor of unlocking the potential of 1660.
Buy the 1660 and in the future upgrade your whole system, if you upgrade your PC in the future, you don't need to game, for all your workload it will be better...whatever you do.... x4 860 is really outdated.
1660 Super is a big leap from 950 and a good one, if it was only dependent on the GPU, you would see a great deal of improvement in the fps of any game but unfortunately that's not the case.

You can upgrade to 1660 and hope for the best, but your CPU will be the limiting factor of unlocking the potential of 1660.
Buy the 1660 and in the future upgrade your whole system, if you upgrade your PC in the future, you don't need to game, for all your workload it will be better...whatever you do.... x4 860 is really outdated.

Reactions: Justin of Smeg
Solution
Feb 15, 2020

Thanks for the info, I was kind of thinking the CPU would be my downfall, I may buy second hand card or borrow one and see what happens. Maybe I won't quite go as high as the 1660.

The CPU has done me really well for the price but I didn't know my stuff at the time and didn't realise the CPU and motherboard I used would be obsolete so quickly.