[SOLVED] Updrading core components. Can I reinstall windows from a Backup?

ozzy89

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Pretty much in the title. I am upgrading my motherboard/cpu/ram with more up to date components, and before i make the installations and brick my computer, i wanted to know what to do about windows install. i own Microsoft windows 10 Home full version(USB drive) but dont want to get locked out if it doesn't recognize the new hardware. Do i need to do anything special? Or can i just go ahead with the part replacement and restore windows from a backup. if i cant do that, can i reinstall using the USB software i have. thank you for any and all answers

Solution
There are two things to consider - Operation and Licensing.

Operation:
Restoring from a backup is no different than trying to use the original drive with the original OS.
The new motherboard, etc needs a clean install.

Licensing:
Where did your actual Win 10 license come from?
Something you purchased? From where?

USAFRet

Titan
There are two things to consider - Operation and Licensing.

Operation:
Restoring from a backup is no different than trying to use the original drive with the original OS.
The new motherboard, etc needs a clean install.

Licensing:
Where did your actual Win 10 license come from?
Something you purchased? From where?

Solution

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I upgraded my MB/CPU/RAM a few months ago using the old HD. Windows recognized the new system without any problems. Worked better than I thought, but this may not be the case for everybody.

My Windows 10 was a copy I bought, so I had the licence on hand just in case.

USAFRet

Titan
Do a clean install on the new hardware.
When it asks, input the license key you have.

And better to create a new USB to install with. The one you have would need several rounds of Updates.