Upgrade: 16GBs of Ram or New CPU

Axlebomb

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hello all, I am in quite the conundrum. I am debating between upgrading my ram from 8gb to 16 or upgrading my Core i3 4160 3.6ghz to a Core i5 4570 3.2ghz? I only can upgrade 1. The only game I play is PubG. I am trying to boost my FPS. Here are my specs:

Core i3 4160 3.6ghz Dual Core 4 thread
Asus GTX 670 2Gb Direct CU II
8Gb of Kingston 1600mhz ddr3 Ram (with heat sink)
Gigabyte Z97 HD3 MoBo
Antec 750w modular 80+ psu
2x 120gb Kingston SSD
1Tb Western Digital HDD
Windows 10
Corsair Carbide series case

Which should I upgrade? And which should boost my FPS most?

Solution
The CPU upgrade will make a bigger difference than the memory, but don't expect huge FPS increases. If you are currently getting 30-60 fps, I expect after you will see fps range between 30-60, but they will spend more time near 60 than they do now (the game will seem smoother, less choppy).
The CPU upgrade will make a bigger difference than the memory, but don't expect huge FPS increases. If you are currently getting 30-60 fps, I expect after you will see fps range between 30-60, but they will spend more time near 60 than they do now (the game will seem smoother, less choppy).

Solution

The i5 will allow higher minimum frame rates especially in games like PUBG and other multiplayer shooters.

I have to agree with Supahos and volkgren. While the game will be smoother with a new CPU, your not going to see a huge increase in performance and so spend your hard earned money carefully.

Also be careful when taking advice from Razorback loving Arkansas farmers ... Gig 'em!

Lol. I'm from and live in Arkansas as well (WOO PIG!). :p my part-time jobs as a teen was on a farm or at the farm co-op, but I work in IT/Business processing now. I've seen @Supahos around the forum and if I remember correctly he is currently a farmer and spends time driving a tractor.