Upgrade a laptop video card?

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
So my fiancé has a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292, and I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to upgrade its videocard. She plays WoW a lot, and even with 1GB of RAM, the framerates suck. So she asked me if it'd be possible to upgrade her video card and I had no definate answer for her.

Even if it's possible, I have no idea where you even buy a laptop PCI-E video card and I don't even want to consider the nightmare of taking a laptop apart. But, OTOH, if my uncle can replace the harddrive in his PowerBook, I should be able to replace my fiancé's video card! :)

Thanks!

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Simple answer. No.

Laptops that have upgradeable GPUs generally start at $1,700 the last time I checked and are usually note from big namebrands unless you are talking about their premium models.
Yeah, I know Alienware laptops and so forth have modular video cards that are easily replacable. I just wondered if there's an unconventional way to replace a laptop's video card. Thought it might be like a hard drive: doable but a humongous pain in the ass. :)

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
unfortunately not, having an upgradable graphics in a laptop is expensive & getting a new card at retail is nigh on impossible (i have never seen 1 for sale here in the UK & i usually have a good poke about the websites)