Upgrade a new GPU or CPU? AMD or Intel?

Vespasian XIII

Reputable
May 10, 2017
Hi guys, i recently OC'd my GPU and i think i killed the motherboard as when i turned on the pc the next day, the mouse and keyboard wasnt working, but that thread can be found here if you are willing to help.

I was intending on upgrading my CPU or GPU regardless, but with my motherboard potentially dead, it opens the avenue of AMD as i was previously on Intel.
I would say that my budget is around £300.

I manage to play games like CSGO, Mount and Blade, League of Legends, and Skyrim all okay, however there are a couple of games in which i really want to be able to play and cant on my current rig.

• ■ Total War (Bar Warhammer, i struggle playing this genre of game on more than minimum)
  • ■ Rainbow Six Siege (During Single player, the graphics were okay on medium, but as soon as i went on multiplayer, my fps dropped dramatically and i get a spiky 20-40fps on minimum.)
  • ■ Mount and Blade Bannerlord (I know this game isnt out yet, but does anybody have any insight on if this game is likely to be CPU or GPU heavy?)
  • ■ Battlefield 1 (Can only play on minimum and still get lag)
  • ■ PLAYERUNKNOWN'S Batlegrounds (I dont have this yet, but if it runs anything like ARMA or DayZ, i will have to likewise have to have it on minimum and still suffer from lag).

Current Specs
CPU- Intel Core i5 4570
GPU 2GB MSI GTX760 TwinFrozr OC
RAM 8gb Corsair
Motherboard Asus B85M-G Micro-ATX (currently potentially dead and in need of upgrading anyway)
600w Power Supply

Bearing this in mind, what would you guys suggest? CPU or GPU? AMD or Intel? My friend said with my rig i shouldnt be struggling to run games like Six Siege and Total War yet i am, is my rig under performing?
Many thanks!!

Solution
A CPU upgrade won't help much, since the 760 is on the verge of low end with todays standards, and can't run the newest games optimally. You would definetely be better off with upgrading your GPU to something like a GTX 1050 Ti/1060 or AMD RX 570/580. And a good idea would be to close the background programs you don't use while playing, as they could be taking up cpu and hereby cause fps drops.

lrrelevant

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
A CPU upgrade won't help much, since the 760 is on the verge of low end with todays standards, and can't run the newest games optimally. You would definetely be better off with upgrading your GPU to something like a GTX 1050 Ti/1060 or AMD RX 570/580. And a good idea would be to close the background programs you don't use while playing, as they could be taking up cpu and hereby cause fps drops.

Solution

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah your components are perfectly fine for a RX 580 or GTX 1060. Since you play BF1 and Total War i would recommend grabbing a RX 580 8GB if you can (4GB is fine too..) The RX 580 is a fraction faster to begin with on average but Battlefield 1 and Total War are both games that even the RX 480 can keep up with if not beat the GTX 1060 6GB. But if you feel more daring, a GTX 1070 would be a fine pairing for even higher FPS/settings. Your i5 should keep up pretty fine with any of them, although i would consider an upgrade before going any higher than a GTX 1070. Hope this helps :)