Upgrade Advice: Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hbottjer

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Thanks, all. Not looking for fastest performance on 2nd SSD as it only supports 3GB anyway, just to ensure it will work on Marvell controller. Not sure which controller it is, manual doesn't state and not indicated on MB so I'll try checking in the BIOS to see if it is indicated there.

hbottjer

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Interesting. I boot (to BIOS) with the Corsair (only a 3GB device) and DVD (ATAPI device) both connected to the Marvell onboard 6GB SATA port, and the BIOS recognizes both. Haven't tried any read/write operations yet, though. Still don't know the model number it is not stated in the BIOS. I guess I must install Win7 OS and use system manager to figure out. I did not want to get that far into my install though.

kahleena

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
This is one reason I want to upgrade my mobo to SATA 6, but now that I see performance difference I'm not in that much of a rush. Yet I remember that my mobo doesn't support AHCI, should I be back in a hurry?

G

SO if I have a board with a single 6Gb/s port and 3 3Gb/s ports and I have both an SSD and a HDD both of which are 6Gb/s, and the SSD will have the OS and apps and the HD will have data like docs, email files, pictures, videos, music, etc. then which one should I plug into the 6Gb/s port on the board?

G

Could you please provide a bit of advice as to whether sata 2 or gsata 3 would be faster with a sata 3 SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.