Question Upgrade Advice from a AMD FX 6300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lidz87

Commendable
Apr 4, 2017
As the title says, I am seeking advice, help, push in the proper direction, wake up call in regards to upgrading my old budget pc components. Starting to notice issues so it's about that time to start planning an upgraded build (ex: El Gato game capture device doesn't function bc of CPU, CPU doesn't support Apex Legends so it crashes). Im not very tech savvy when it comes to PC specs so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Budget
  • ATM I am looking around 900-1200
Goals:
  • Want to build an updated budget pc with the options to upgrade in the future.
  • Have the option of making the game capture card internal instead of external so bigger chassis and motherboard could be an option
  • Can I hold off on some of the components for like a month or two while I focus on getting the main components? (Ex: PSU, GPU, Ram)
Purpose:
  • Mainly to stream video games
My current build:
  • CPU: AMD FX 6300
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
  • Ram: Crucial 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600
  • SSD/HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
  • SSD/HDD 2: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB
  • PSU: EVGA 500 W 80+
  • Chassis: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I really like your suggestion about grabbing the RX 570 and grabbing a newer GPU and new monitor down the line at the same time. I apologize as I am not familiar, which RX570 would you recommend? Looked into it and there's quite a few Radeon RX 570 manufacturers. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price

Well, looking at the list (sorted by price) the Sapphire Pulse is the least expensive and Sapphire's coolers are known to be good. Generally most brands will hold up well, it's just a matter of choice of cooler, and price, for the most part.

That said, I'm personally a little disappointed that it's $134.99, as I've seen RX 570 cards go for as little as $119.99.

The MSI Armor 570 with 8GB is available for the same price. I'm given to understand that the Armor cooler is not the greatest - and the annoying thing about this having the same price is that a mail-in-rebate is involved.

@remixislandmusic 's catch for the $159.99 RX 580 8GB is a pretty good one, and worth considering. While the RX570 will likley require sometimes turning details lower than you would with an RX 580, if there were models in the $120 range for the RX 570, I'd say go for that, but since the lowest-price one is currently $135, then the extra money for the RX 580 is worth considering.

A $25 gap... but then you have to weigh more satisfying playability now, vs being fine with lesser performance, because you're saving toward the better card to go with the better monitor in the future.

In any case, I like how your list is looking. One change I'd make is the PSU. You've chosen a good one, but:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

Same price, same power, but longer warranty (10 years vs 7 years).

Lidz87

Commendable
Apr 4, 2017
If you are really wanting to stream, I would consider a Ryzen 7 2700, over the 2600x. Also, that 580 is a bit overpriced, when you can get a 590, for not much more.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+ Video Card ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $518.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-25 08:34 EDT-0400

Wow I actually didnt realize the Ryzen 7 2700 wasnt that much more expensive than the R5 2600x. Ty for pointing that out. Again, I am not that great with PC specs but with this build later down the line (perhaps a year or two and after I decide to upgrade to an even better GPU/Monitor), would this build support the Ryzen 9 CPU? At some point it'll come down in price so i figure thats the best end goal route for this build.

Lidz87

Commendable
Apr 4, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price

Well, looking at the list (sorted by price) the Sapphire Pulse is the least expensive and Sapphire's coolers are known to be good. Generally most brands will hold up well, it's just a matter of choice of cooler, and price, for the most part.

That said, I'm personally a little disappointed that it's $134.99, as I've seen RX 570 cards go for as little as $119.99.

The MSI Armor 570 with 8GB is available for the same price. I'm given to understand that the Armor cooler is not the greatest - and the annoying thing about this having the same price is that a mail-in-rebate is involved.

@remixislandmusic 's catch for the $159.99 RX 580 8GB is a pretty good one, and worth considering. While the RX570 will likley require sometimes turning details lower than you would with an RX 580, if there were models in the $120 range for the RX 570, I'd say go for that, but since the lowest-price one is currently $135, then the extra money for the RX 580 is worth considering.

A $25 gap... but then you have to weigh more satisfying playability now, vs being fine with lesser performance, because you're saving toward the better card to go with the better monitor in the future.

In any case, I like how your list is looking. One change I'd make is the PSU. You've chosen a good one, but:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

Same price, same power, but longer warranty (10 years vs 7 years).

NGL I didnt realize this thread went onto a second page lol

Good spot on the PSU. And yea the GPU i'll def have to pick one that works now. As the end goal is to eventually grab a better GPU.

Someone mentioned grabbing the Ryzen 7 2700 but @remixislandmusic said at that point instead go with the 3600 (im assuming the R5 3600). They are both priced pretty much the same $194 vs $199. I do not mind at all increasing the CPU budget another $50 but why would I choose one over the other? I noticed the R7 2700 has more cores which could come in handy with light video editing. Again, ty guys for all the help. Learning alot

Agree. If you are mostly gaming but stream and edit ocasionally, the 3600 is a better option.

However if you frequently stream and edit the 2700 is a better option.

The 3600 has much better gaming performance, but less cores and threads than the 2700. You will notice this difference if you upgrade your monitor to a 144hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V and Lidz87

Lidz87

Commendable
Apr 4, 2017
Agree. If you are mostly gaming but stream and edit ocasionally, the 3600 is a better option.

However if you frequently stream and edit the 2700 is a better option.

The 3600 has much better gaming performance, but less cores and threads than the 2700. You will notice this difference if you upgrade your monitor to a 144hz.

I actually do stream perhaps 2-3 times a week and do make the occasional guide on Youtube where I use Premiere Pro. So looks like I may go with the R7 2700 after all.

TRENDING THREADS