I have a homebuilt Machine with the following specs:
Asus K7V motherboard
AMD classic 650Mhz
128Mb pc133 sdram
Creative tnt2 Ultra Gamer graphics
10.2 Gb harddrive
54x cd rom
Hayes accura modem.

First and foremost, I am thinking of a graphics card upgrade, while it trucks along ok in 16 bit colour depth it's a fair bit slower in 32 bit. I normally play unreal tournament in 1024 x 768. What card would give a good performance 'hit' over my current card?
Secondly, is there really any point in upgrading my processor or mobo? (currently anyway)
Thirdly...should I fit anything else to this system?

Thanks peeps.

Ray

G

I reccommend a GeForce2 32MB ddr or at least an MX.
Let the rest be, at least until the new Athlon DDR mobos are out, and stable.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Areed, next you "may" need a hard drive if you start adding games or downloading music. The CPU is definately less of a need compared to the GPU.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

GeForce2 GTS is good for you.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

Here is some real professional advice from a professional IT. One thing you wanna consider is do you like multimedia then games, or games then multimedia?

If you just play games, don't want to watch TV while working on homework or TV and talking to peeps on AIM, or editing videos and making movies and what not, then get the geforce2 GTS. If money is tight, get the geforce2 MX. I recommend ASUS as your name brand.

If you want to do multimedia, making videos, recording shows on your computer, editing them, making ecards and stuff from pictures you snaped while watching TV, then get the ATI all in wonder Radeon. I wouldn't get the Radeon card for any other reason. I got this card because my 13 inch tv blew and i wanted a new card and a new tv and vcr and video capture card and tivo looked cool. this card does all of that! BTW, looks nice on my 17 inch monitor too.

Voodoo is dead, i wouldn't consider them for the time being.

So there you go. Instead of getting the biased "Get geforce 2 GTS" bullcrap, i gave you some realistic ideas you can think of. The ATI AIW Radeon card is great! Looks really cool too! lol! The only problem that concerns me are the drivers. I hope ATI will get there act together. Geforce 2 probably will be the choice for you, as most people just wanna play games really fast :)

Good luck!
-xxsk8er101xx

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks everyone for your help....looks like a Geforce 2 GTS it is then lol (only use computer for games and the internet) and have so far sadly only been able to use about 3Gb of my harddrive cos of lack of 'good' games (Unreal Tournament rocks) till later then

Raymond.

TRENDING THREADS