[SOLVED] Upgrade for 2200G

doolittle28

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
My rig right now has a Ryzen 3 2200G and needless to say it isn’t cutting it for the streaming I’m trying to do while playing games at the same time on the same system. I have been looking at 2 different processors and was wondering which one is the better option. First is the Ryzen 7 2700x and the second is the Ryzen 5 3600. Which one will be better for gaming and streaming at the same time?

edit: I forgot to mention I have an RX570 4gb in the system right now. I also have 16gb (4x 4gb) of ram 3200mhz I believe. I can’t remember what clock I got it to stabilize at in bios set up.

Last edited:
Solution
I should’ve mentioned this in the original post but I have an RX570 4gb graphics card in the rig right now. I got the 2200g as a placeholder for the gpu I was eventually going to get and now that I have a gpu capable of what games I want to run and I run them over 200fps with no issues. I’m simply looking to upgrade my cpu

I would go with a 2700x then. Problem being AMD's real time encoding isn't as good as NVIDIA's in terms of quality. Don't get me wrong, I like AMD, but NVIDIA does have a few options.

Have you looked into the Elgato line of capture products? Again problem is you need an nvidia graphics card,

https://www.elgato.com/en
That's kind of a wash and depends on the game. There's a few games out there that will use every core you have. But they are a minority. Most games appear to use between 4 to 6 cores these days. A few games DX11 like Flight Simulator 2020 depends more on a single faster cores over more cores.

If you want to encode at the same time, I would go with an NVIDIA video card and offload the transcoding onto that. A 3600 overclocked should hold you the rest of the way.

Reactions: kurdtnz

doolittle28

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
That's kind of a wash and depends on the game. There's a few games out there that will use every core you have. But they are a minority. Most games appear to use between 4 to 6 cores these days. A few games DX11 like Flight Simulator 2020 depends more on a single faster cores over more cores.

If you want to encode at the same time, I would go with an NVIDIA video card and offload the transcoding onto that. A 3600 overclocked should hold you the rest of the way.
I don’t have the budget to upgrade my gpu right now and I figured the CPU with only 4 cores and 4 threads was the issue with me not being able to stream. I’m playing esport titles like valorant and league of legends. I play other steam games like Phasmophobia and In Silence and I might stream those as well. Is there a CPU option at about a $200 budget that will be able to handle what I want to do?

doolittle28

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
What kind of GPU are you looking for?
I should’ve mentioned this in the original post but I have an RX570 4gb graphics card in the rig right now. I got the 2200g as a placeholder for the gpu I was eventually going to get and now that I have a gpu capable of what games I want to run and I run them over 200fps with no issues. I’m simply looking to upgrade my cpu

Reactions: kurdtnz

I would go with a 2700x then. Problem being AMD's real time encoding isn't as good as NVIDIA's in terms of quality. Don't get me wrong, I like AMD, but NVIDIA does have a few options.

Have you looked into the Elgato line of capture products? Again problem is you need an nvidia graphics card,

Last edited:
Solution

doolittle28

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Would going with a 2700x now and later upgrading to a better nvidia gpu have any problems involved compatibility wise? The 570 was just the most cost effective at the time because I got it for about $100 and it’s perfect for what I want now. I was thinking of doing a 1660 super later down the road but I heard the performance isn’t much better than the 570. I may be misinformed though. I appreciate the help

Would going with a 2700x now and later upgrading to a better nvidia gpu have any problems involved compatibility wise? The 570 was just the most cost effective at the time because I got it for about $100 and it’s perfect for what I want now. I was thinking of doing a 1660 super later down the road but I heard the performance isn’t much better than the 570. I may be misinformed though. I appreciate the help

You should have no problem with a 2700x and nvidia GPU later. I understand a lot of people have a budget they have to work in. Even my wife's laptop will do real time capture (1080p) with a 2500U APU, but it comes out blurry. It's just a weakness of the chip encoder.