Question Upgrade for a i5 12400f.

Jan 10, 2021
Hello, I have been experiencing bottlenecks from my CPU and would like a upgrade. CPU percentage maxed out whereas my GPU will only be around 70-80%. I currently play at 1440p and have a 7800xt. My motherboard is intel only and can support the newer 13th and 14th with a bios update. The two options I am looking at are the i5 12600k and the i5 13600kf. However I am not sure which one I truly need as I was deadset on the 13600kf but I have been watching some videos and they suggest that 12600k will be more then enough at my specs. The 12600k is £152 and the 13600kf is £212 for reference and the on board graphics that the 12600 has doesn't effect my purchasing decision in anyway. Thank you for reading and I will respond as quick as I can.

Reactions: artk2219
Hello, I have been experiencing bottlenecks from my CPU and would like a upgrade. CPU percentage maxed out whereas my GPU will only be around 70-80%. I currently play at 1440p and have a 7800xt. My motherboard is intel only and can support the newer 13th and 14th with a bios update. The two options I am looking at are the i5 12600k and the i5 13600kf. However I am not sure which one I truly need as I was deadset on the 13600kf but I have been watching some videos and they suggest that 12600k will be more then enough at my specs. The 12600k is £152 and the 13600kf is £212 for reference and the on board graphics that the 12600 has doesn't effect my purchasing decision in anyway. Thank you for reading and I will respond as quick as I can.
What is your current CPU and what are the rest of your current specs?

I currently have a i5 12400f which is really struggling at somewhat modern games,16GB of ram and a corsair RM850e.
Honestly, I think it's the 16gb of ram that is holding you back more than the 12400f. You may want to look at upgrading to 32gb. What are you trying to play though? Also, do you currently have one or two sticks of ram? You ideally need at least two sticks of ram so you can use both memory channels. You can lose up to 25% of your performance and have quite a bit of stuttering if you are only using one memory channel. The jump to the 13600k would be noticable, but it shouldn't be a night and day difference. In order to get a particularly noticable difference you would need to move to a 14900k or 7800X3D. You should still upgrade to 32gb of RAM first though.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-14600k/19.html

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021
Honestly, I think it's the 16gb of ram that is holding you back more than the 12400f. You may want to look at upgrading to 32gb. What are you trying to play though? Also, do you currently have one or two sticks of ram? You ideally need at least two sticks of ram so you can use both memory channels. You can lose up to 25% of your performance and have quite a bit of stuttering if you are only using one memory channel.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/19.html
I have been playing battlefield 5, gotham knights and watch dogs legion and have noticed that all three have high GPU usage and medium GPU usage with fps output being substationaly lower then benchmarks from various sources have shown. I have two 8gb sticks and they are in dual channel mode via CPU-Z.

I have been playing battlefield 5, gotham knights and watch dogs legion and have noticed that all three have high GPU usage and medium GPU usage with fps output being substationaly lower then benchmarks from various sources have shown. I have two 8gb sticks and they are in dual channel mode via CPU-Z.
Have you tried wiping your graphics drivers and doing a fresh install with ddu?

Jan 10, 2021
Have you tried wiping your graphics drivers and doing a fresh install with ddu?

I recently got the 7800xt a month ago and installed the drivers the same time. Could a fresh install really help my performance?

These are older games and the CPU should have no issues playing them, I would run task manager while the game is open to see if there is something else taking up CPU time.
Do all cores show up and does the CPU run at the proper clocks?

Jan 10, 2021
These are older games and the CPU should have no issues playing them, I would run task manager while the game is open to see if there is something else taking up CPU time.
Do all cores show up and does the CPU run at the proper clocks?
On battlefield 5 at 100% CPU utilization all 6 cores are used at 4GHZ. The other apps opened like steam are only using about 0.1% of the CPU.