Upgrade for i5 2500

Nyamph

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I'm looking fo an upgrade to my i5 2500. I'll replace the full kit (MOBO, RAM, PROCESSOR)

I'm thinking about i5 7600
Gigabyte B150M-Gaming 3
Corsair 8 Gb RAM

I want some opinions, do you guys think I'll see some noticiable performance gain with this upgrade?

Solution
Ram should be DDR4 thus the concern since some have made the mistake of sticking with DDR3 ram only to learn later on that Skylake /Kabylake operate on DDR4 although the IMC can also function with DDR3 memory, motherboard manufacturers have limited options that support DDR3.

Since you're going for a Kabylake i5, might want to get B250 chipset motherboard as you will need to perform a BIOS update with a Skylake CPU in order to drop in the Kabylake processor part.

You also forgot to mention the chassis, PSU's make and model and if you're adding storage. Mind you, you will need to reinstall your OS once you swap out the old with the new motherboard.

Other than that, you're golden!

Lutfij

Titan
Ram should be DDR4 thus the concern since some have made the mistake of sticking with DDR3 ram only to learn later on that Skylake /Kabylake operate on DDR4 although the IMC can also function with DDR3 memory, motherboard manufacturers have limited options that support DDR3.

Since you're going for a Kabylake i5, might want to get B250 chipset motherboard as you will need to perform a BIOS update with a Skylake CPU in order to drop in the Kabylake processor part.

You also forgot to mention the chassis, PSU's make and model and if you're adding storage. Mind you, you will need to reinstall your OS once you swap out the old with the new motherboard.

Other than that, you're golden!

Solution

Nyamph

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Forgot some info, RAM is indeed DDR4 (this mobo supports only DDR4) and about the BIOS update, I'll do the update as I have an Skylake CPU here just to perform this update if needed.

PSU: Corsair CX-500

I have some doubts about performance, do you think I'll notice some performance boost with this upgrade? Do the 7600 really worth it?