Upgrade from a gtx titan

jschreibes

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I am currently running a rig with an intel 3570k, 8gb ddr3 1600MHz, and a GTX titan. I know that my ram is currently a bottle neck and plan on adding 8gb more. I wanted to buy a whole new set with faster clock speed but I had no idea the jump in price RAM has gone through so I'm just getting a second 2x4 set to add in.

I think my 3570k still holds up pretty well so I'm going to ride that out a while longer. But the GTX Titan seems to lack the vram that games need these days, and it is a 5 year old piece of hardware and is starting to show its age. I'm wondering what new gen card I would have to buy to have a noticeable difference in performance?

Solution
I would wait a few more months. Nvidia should be releasing Volta sometime in the next couple of months, and HOPEFULLY that should do a couple of things.

One, card supply in general should go UP since they already know that there is a lack, and this is in addition to miner specific cards that are coming out. They refuse to increase the supply of Pascal based cards because they are focusing efforts on materials and production to the release of Volta, so once that comes it should be somewhat of a pressure release, again, hopefully.

Two, as always, the cards will be more capable than what is out now AND since the supply should increase, the prices should also somewhat equalize to normal, "in the realm of believability", prices. That...
I would wait a few more months. Nvidia should be releasing Volta sometime in the next couple of months, and HOPEFULLY that should do a couple of things.

One, card supply in general should go UP since they already know that there is a lack, and this is in addition to miner specific cards that are coming out. They refuse to increase the supply of Pascal based cards because they are focusing efforts on materials and production to the release of Volta, so once that comes it should be somewhat of a pressure release, again, hopefully.

Two, as always, the cards will be more capable than what is out now AND since the supply should increase, the prices should also somewhat equalize to normal, "in the realm of believability", prices. That means you'll get a more powerful card but also pay less than the insane prices that Pascal is selling for right now whether new or used.

If you simply cannot wait, and have money to burn, the the 1080TI is the only card you should probably be looking at, although the 1070ti is likely a bump up from where you are now with a five year old Titan. I'd wait though. It would be be money better spent even IF you end up paying more than you should for it due to stupid mining shortages.

The other thing you might want to consider/factor in is whether your power supply is as old as your graphics card, and if it is, that might also be something you want to take a look at replacing at the same time. While it might be running and working fine now, it's amazing how often we see a seemingly fine running power supply take a dump the minute a new card is installed. Especially if it's a more powerful card than the previous one was.

Solution

jschreibes

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks for the quick and thorough answer. I can definitely wait, I'll probably pick up a new PSU in the meantime. I figured cards now have become more efficient to the point where I would be okay even with a more powerful card but I suppose I'd rather be safe and sorry.

Do a little research before buying one and do not go strictly off name alone. Make sure to invest in a specific model with good reviews at both JonnyGuru and by Aris here at Tom's.

This should give you some food for thought and a place to start digging around but suffice to say if you go with a higher end Seasonic or Corsair unit, and NOT all of their units ARE actually all that high end, you should be fine. There are others out there as well but you're a lot more likely to be hit or miss with anything not labeled Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair. Be very specific about model and don't buy one ONLY because it is sold by one of those brand names.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3612443/power-supply-discussion-thread.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/power-supplies/review/

If you need a recommendation for a specific unit, just ask. Otherwise, good luck to you and happy gaming.