[SOLVED] Upgrade from an i7 920???

shea1980

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Solution

Hi.... so I'm guessing you are trying to keep to a tight budget based on the choice of parts....

What I would say- if you can stretch to it maybe try and up the motherboard to a B450 board is possible. They have much better support for the full range of Ryzen cpu's (including the latest 3000 series should you wish to upgrade in future). The B350 and B450 chipsets also support overclocking, which can provide a nice boost in performance for 2nd gen Ryzen cpus however you cannot overclock on A320 (at least officially).

CPU wise, looking at that link appears you can purchase the R7 2700 for only slightly more, if that is the case I think that would be the better buy if you want to keep your machine for a long time (which I guess you do if you're still rocking a 920). That said if your budget can't go up then the 2600 is a good choice.

Same goes with the ram really, 16gb is better these days but that is pretty easy to upgrade later if you can't afford it now. I would say though is invest in a motherboard with 4 ram slots if you are only going with 8gb, that way you can just add another 8gb later rather.

Reactions: shea1980
What's your budget?

Just retired my core i7 960 from gaming duties last month and built a new AMD gaming PC. Wow what a difference! Not just gaming, everything runs faster compared to the good old i7.

In the US at least, there are a lot of good sales for Gen 2 Ryzen CPU's, also really good for gaming. You can pick up an MSI B450 motherboard for a budget price that will take Gen 3 too.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: cdrkf
Solution