[SOLVED] Upgrade from GTX 970

triple07

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
So with the holiday sales and possible gift cards from relatives and such I've been thinking about diving into a new graphics card for gaming to get a bit better performance than I am currently getting. I'm looking to get something that isn't too expensive (nothing over $500) and have been looking at a few cards but had some questions going forward.

First question: is it possible to have an nVidia card and a AMD card installed on the same motherboard if outputting to different monitors? If so has anyone had any experience with this? Does this cause issues with games when choosing which card to use? Would this cause issues with older games especially?

Second question: would I see performance increases with something like an RTX 2060 Super or a Radeon RX 5700 over my current GTX 970? If so which would offer a bigger performance bump? Would it be worth it to invest the extra money in getting a RX 5700 XT? Or would trying to find a deal on another card like a regular 2070 be a more sensible option while remaining under $500?

For reference here is my current PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/triple07/saved/#view=XRfb8d

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Solution
First Question
Yes but why? You can run up to 4 monitors off a 970 GTX or any new card out.

Windows 10 brought in multi GPU support under Direct X 12 but I'm not sure how well implemented it is. This was supposed to take advantage of the best parts of AMD and Nvidia GPU's simultaneously simular to how SLI or crossfire works.

2nd Question
Absolutely yes an RTX 2060 Super. Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 are all much faster than a 970 GTX.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
First Question
Yes but why? You can run up to 4 monitors off a 970 GTX or any new card out.

Windows 10 brought in multi GPU support under Direct X 12 but I'm not sure how well implemented it is. This was supposed to take advantage of the best parts of AMD and Nvidia GPU's simultaneously simular to how SLI or crossfire works.

2nd Question
Absolutely yes an RTX 2060 Super. Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 are all much faster than a 970 GTX.

Solution
would I see performance increases with something like an RTX 2060 Super or a Radeon RX 5700 over my current GTX 970?
Those cards should offer nearly double the graphics performance of a GTX 970, so I would expect substantial performance gains in most recent demanding games with the graphics settings turned up. At 1080p, some games may see less notable gains due to them running into CPU performance limitations though. And on a 60Hz screen, the image won't be updating more than 60 times per second anyway, so high framerates in the 100+ fps range might not provide much benefit, aside from reducing input latency a bit. It might be worth looking into either a 144Hz monitor with adaptive sync, or possibly a higher resolution screen to better utilize the additional performance offered by such a card.