Question Upgrade from GTX1050 2GB

Feb 26, 2019
I'm running a budget build from a couple years ago. FX8350 cpu, 8GB ram, with the 2gb 1050.

I make more money now, but I'm not interested in building a new PC at this moment. Though I want to upgrade my GPU. I game at 1080p.

Im looking at the Rtx2060 cards, but I'm here for suggestions for a card that I would be able to get great gains from what I have now, but also be able to use in a future build when I feel like spending the money to build a new rig.

Sorry for the roundabout jumbled post. First time here. Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2019
I'm running a budget build from a couple years ago. FX8350 cpu, 8GB ram, with the 2gb 1050.

I make more money now, but I'm not interested in building a new PC at this moment. Though I want to upgrade my GPU. I game at 1080p.

Im looking at the Rtx2060 cards, but I'm here for suggestions for a card that I would be able to get great gains from what I have now, but also be able to use in a future build when I feel like spending the money to build a new rig.

Sorry for the roundabout jumbled post. First time here. Thanks in advance.
You can use FX8350 and Rtx 2060 but for now
Your gpu is bottleneck by cpu until you upgrade cpu.For Furture proof it will fine.

Reactions: MrBordenkircher
The 2060 is a great card. I wish it came with 8 GB VRAM, but even with 6 GB it's still a great card. Your 8350 will hold it back some, but that's not the end of the world. In a year a so when you decide to get a new CPU you will get another bump in performance. As long as you have a quality power supply there should be no issues upgrading.

Feb 26, 2019
The 2060 is a great card. I wish it came with 8 GB VRAM, but even with 6 GB it's still a great card. Your 8350 will hold it back some, but that's not the end of the world. In a year a so when you decide to get a new CPU you will get another bump in performance. As long as you have a quality power supply there should be no issues upgrading.

That's what I thought. I know I want more performance now, even if the gpu is bottle necked by the rest of my system. Then I plan to over the course of the next year to buy a mother board, cpu, and ram for a new build. I'd like the card I buy now to still be relevant to the rest of the next rig.

Thank you all for the quick replies.

Reactions: nick_v15

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Not worth upgrading at this point , till you can get a whole new core to support a higher end GPU.

Something like this in the future: Just an example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.00 @ B&H)
Total: $649.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-26 22:06 EST-0500

Feb 26, 2019
A new cpu will keep you satisfied with your 1050 for about a year (if you are not a demanding gamer).The RTX series is at ridiculous prices right now.

I'm sure that a new cpu is going to be needed, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a better cpu with the am3+ socket that's either better than the fx8350, or even if there is a superior one I doubt it would be something I'd be happy with for another five years. So if I switch to a modern socket type I'd also have to upgrade the mb, ram, as well as cpu. Effectively building a new rig. I'm not looking for that at this moment, but I could be completely wrong about there not being a relevant am3+ socket cpu.

Feb 26, 2019
Not worth upgrading at this point , till you can get a whole new core to support a higher end GPU.

Something like this in the future: Just an example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.00 @ B&H)
Total: $649.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-26 22:06 EST-0500

Thanks for the effort put into that. Another question then, I'm looking at spending $400 or less right now. Do you think I'd get better performance now by upgrading to a ryzen build and sticking with the 1050 for a while longer, then upgrading to a new gpu later? Or by upgrading gpu now and then later upgrading to a ryzen build? If that makes sense

Easy test ... is at least one core of your CPU running at 100% when you play games. If so, then a new CPU could get you some more performance. If not, then a new CPU won't help much.

**EDIT ... we never talked about what games you are playing. The difference between GTA V and DOTA 2 are huge.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Yes , I would get a new Ryzen core now and upgrade the card as soon as possible.

I ended up getting the ryzen 5 2600x, asrock fatality b450 k4, and 16gb gskill tridentz 3200. Put it all together last night and retained the gpu for now. And I must say, holy $#!t. I'm still going to upgrade the gpu, but I don't see any reason to rush it for now. Thanks everyone.

TRENDING THREADS